So You're Just Not "Feeling It" for 5e - What ARE you excited about?

innerdude

Legend
I'd assumed they'd do things the way MWP did with Marvel Heroic, and have an Essentials Edition that would just contain the bits you needed that weren't in the core rulebook.

Remember this is Fantasy Flight we're talking about. A company not known for sparing its customers from even the most minor of expenses to play their games.

(And this is coming from a guy who absolutely adores the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game.)

I'm indifferent about 5E and honestly there really isn't anything beyond firefly that i'm looking forward to, I was hoping SJG would have something for GRUPS but nothing really makes me want it

I've looked at 5E, and I love the return to FR and the more simplified system, but... It just doesn't grab me. There's nothing about it I really see as anything special.

These days, I'm heavily tied into Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Numenera, and World of Darkness. I'm also looking forward to The Strange. I just don't see myself really getting into 5E unless they do something special, and to be blunt the Basic DnD rules PDF was only impressive in how limited it was.

So, I'll spend my money on East Texas University and The Strange rather than 5E. Probably run both on here at some point.

Dungeoneer

First Post
I've looked at 5E, and I love the return to FR and the more simplified system, but... It just doesn't grab me. There's nothing about it I really see as anything special.

These days, I'm heavily tied into Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Numenera, and World of Darkness. I'm also looking forward to The Strange. I just don't see myself really getting into 5E unless they do something special, and to be blunt the Basic DnD rules PDF was only impressive in how limited it was.

So, I'll spend my money on East Texas University and The Strange rather than 5E. Probably run both on here at some point.
What's the story on 'The Strange'? I keep hearing about it but have no idea what it is.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Bennies ruin Savage Worlds for me. I hate the concept of bennies, fate/fortune points, etc. And in SW, they are so ingrained into the rules that I can't easily remove them. Too bad, it's a pretty good game, otherwise.

My problem with Bennies as SW presents them is they are very much "this happens because I have a chip representing this metagame concept that I am now paying you with". I think I prefer how Fate points work in HARP or Belief Points work in 2E Planescape. Especially because both have hard caps, and it's not so much "X happens because I'm paying for it to happen", it's more "X happens because my belief is so strong" and that X is usually limited to things like reducing wounds or attack and damage bonuses.

Derren

Hero
I dug out some Traveller books (Mongoose edition) and really like it. The setting is a bit "old" (as in 80s Sci Fi with anthro animals as races) but so far I stick with it. And while D&D has marginalized skills more and more and focused on combat as sport Traveller it is skill driven, very open which allows for a huge range of game themes and combat is fast and deadly so players have to actually think before engaging in it.

Remove ads