So You're Just Not "Feeling It" for 5e - What ARE you excited about?

herrozerro

First Post
I've seen repeated mention of Savage Worlds... what is it that attracts you to that system?

For the record, I'll buy 5E for the collection and maybe to play a one-off or two, but I am currently not very hopeful that it will be my go-to RPG. Then again, I currently don't have a go-to RPG. I like FantasyCraft (best d20 variant I've seen) but my group is not happy with d20 anymore. I am currently a backer of HERO Fantasy and ENWorld's OLD/NOW/NEW as well as a few smaller indies that I hope I can find a common ground system out of.

A number of things actually.

With it's less reliant on numbers, in D&D in general unless you have a a generalist stat array, you are pretty much locked into certain classes. In savage worlds in addition to being classless, it's wild die and exploding dice make it more viable to attempt things you are not actually trained in. For example, in my last game a player who is mostly a non combatant got caught unawares, and gave it her all. With two bennies spent she managed to fend them off quite well until help arrived. (she wasn't going to take them down, but she kept them shaken and unable to hurt her more.)

It's a pretty generic system as well. The core rules feel just as at home with fantasy, as they do with scifi, it also has an extrememly large library of official and third party settings. If you want a particular setting savage worlds has it (there is also a large library of unofficial conversions, from aliens to my little pony). Most settings are quite cheap as well. If you are going the PDF route, most I have found are in the 5-10 range. With a few high quality productions around normal prices.

It's FFF (Fast, Furious and Fun)! Now that our group has gotten into the groove of play, our games move on at a pretty fast pace. normally in D&D I'd plan maybe a fight and a few social encounters a night. With Savage worlds I have needed to really work on my improv skills as my games have gone a lot further per session than I would have thought possible.

and those are the main reasons why I love savage worlds.

Daelkyr

First Post
I really wasn't feeling 5e when it was first rolled out. Liked what was being offered, but I'd grown tired of D&D after 3/3.5/4 edition. But now I'm really starting to feel the old D&D juices pumping. However...

I'd love to get a couple of one-shots of 13th Age going when I move to SLC in July. That game looks great for gonzo role playing. And the things like "One Unique Thing" and Icons are real clever.

Of course, if D&D is my first love, I dream of leaving it for Savage Worlds. That game is the best tool box RPG I've ever played and I'd love to have a regular campaign with it. Sci-Fi, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, pirate, Asian, modern, super hero, Star Wars, Eberron... I don't care. Such a great game. Hands down my OTHER choice for gaming.

Anyone want to play Savage Worlds? Please? ;)

Greg K

Legend
[MENTION=10360]Greg[/MENTION]K, there's room for both Leverage and Firefly. Leverage is about experts, Firefly about things not going smooth.

Thanks. I know what each is intended to do. It is just that, mechanically, Firefly with its skills is more to my preference and, now, I wish Leverage had skills. Don't get me wrong, Leverage still looks impressive and I want to get a print copy (I own the pdf, but don't like them for running games), but I am just a little less enthusiastic than I was before seeing the Firefly preview.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
While I'm none too excited about 5e, as its nothing that I need, since Pathfinder RPG does RPG for me just fine. I don't necessarily need to be excited about something new, I'm quite satisfied with what I currently have.

That said, my work with Rite Publishing in the final development of the GM's and Player's guides to Kaidan for a hopeful release this fall - although my contributions are complete, until the works are finally edited, as I will be doing the page layout, once this is finished. I look forward to getting there, although page layout in of itself, is not necessarily "fun" to do, rather a necessity.

My map tutorials guides funded from a Kickstarter last year is reaching its culmination with the soon to be released first guide book: 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide, and work on the subsequent guides are well on their way to finishing.

Aside from my own projects coming to completion, there are no other companies products that I want, need, or feel excited about, but then I am never the first one in line for a new product. I tend to wait a year or two, unless like Pathfinder, it was something I needed right away and jumped onto once it was released. It was timing on my needs for a new system for my developing Kaidan setting. The arrival of Pathfinder was just good timing.

Shadeydm

First Post
I am feeling fairly ambivalent about 5E. Having played every previous edition I’m happy to see the brand continue and will probably pick up the core books at some point. After our group got burnt out on 2-3 hour battles of 4E we switched to 13th Age which is a nice blend of 3 and 4E with much faster combats.
The products in the pipeline I am most excited about are 13 True Ways and Primeval Thule. The former for its expansion of options (especially classes) and the latter for an old fashioned sword & sorcery style campaign I am looking forward to running.

Curious about 5e but definitely not feeling it. Savage Worlds and The One Ring are what I'm excited about, so much so that I'm leaving Pathfinder.

At least DMin'g it, as we will finish my buddy's DMing of Pathfinder and then I'm ready to move to Savage Worlds and The One Ring.

*Update from my original post to now, Oct 2014"

I wasn't feeling it but after Gen Con and trying it out with another group of friends, I'm digging it. I'll leave SW for my utility games and still love The One Ring but if I do any D&D games in the future, it will be 5th Ed. I'm not a fan boy, I hated 4th Edition.

BB

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Not just excited about 5e, I'm running a pretty fun game with the current rules.

That said, I'm also playing Edge of the Empire, which is a blast. I'm also in a PF game and a 4e game, and while those aren't among my favorites, if a game is well run, nearly any system can be made fun.

Thinking of using Savage Worlds to run an XCom game in the future. I do like the system.

Stormonu

Legend
I've seen repeated mention of Savage Worlds... what is it that attracts you to that system?

It's motto, which really describes how the game actually plays - Fast, Fun, Furious. It's a pulp action game (though it does a whole range of genres) that resolves quickly, without a lot of fiddly bits, but at the same time with enough crunch to build just about any character you could want. I find I can convert stuff from other games on the fly into Savage World stats - like entire 1E/2E/3E D&D adventures.

So far, I haven't found a genre or world-setting that wouldn't run under Savage Worlds - D&D, Marvel Superheroes, Firefly, Star Frontiers, Alternity, Gamma World, Space 1889, World War 2, Star Wars, Star Trek, Zombicide, Call of Cthulhu and so on.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
[MENTION=6685730]DMMike[/MENTION]

I'm interested. What's this HERO thing all about?

HERO games is releasing a new, updated version of their old Fantasy Hero. (For 6th ed. HERO)

Now I don't know what's actually going to be in it. Repeat: DON'T know.

But a few months back the HERO forum was canvassed for what we'd like to see in it and what we thought would attract new players to the game. The overwhelming response went along the lines of:

Keep the ugly stat blocks separate. Yes, a basic stat block is needed but keep it simple and avoid too much jargon and mechanics. There were many suggestions that the stat blocks in fact be included as a package of .hdc* files that are included with price of purchase.

Including an outline of a small campaign setting.

Including "packages" for character classes and races.

Rather than showing HOW to build a bunch of powers (HERO's usual modus operandi) - build them and include them as packages with simple terms to describe them.**

Including all the rules you need to play in the one book. Combat rules, magic system rules, skill rules.

Make it pretty.

Play up the flexibility of the system. Show the weird, the wacky , the unusual and how it can all work together without the sort of balance issues one gets in d20.

That's most of it, at least as far as what I'm looking forward to. This is a link to the actual thread in which ideas were put forward if you fancy reading through that.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/86000-looking-for-input-on-potential-new-fantasy-product/

Cheers, :)

* .hdc is the Hero Designer file. You need to purchase Hero Designer to use them but it's is very worthwhile if you're going to do much HERO. It will make all the powers, spells, characters, whatever, completely editable.

** This actually already exists but hasn't been played up enough in the marketing, IMO. Hero designer even has a list of already designed Perks and Talents that can bought that look suspiciously similar to Class traits from D20.

Remove ads