Solo or Two person games

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm curious about your thoughts on Mage Knight, the Pathfinder Card Game, and any other fantasy "board" games that can be played solo or with 2 players. Don't need your thoughts on Gloomhaven, I've played that.

thanks!

Dioltach

Legend
I haven't played any of the games you mention, but I can give some quick thoughts on the following:

• Conan (Monolith version): great game, fast, free-form, just fun basically. Basic setup is one Overlord and 1-4 players (1 player is great with just Conan), but there's a cooperative setup without an Overlord. Some question marks about the sexist portrayal of female characters (someone on Boardgamegeek has put together templates for less sexist versions).
  • Shadows of Brimstone: cooperative dungeon crawl with an infinite number of expansions. I loved the premise, hated assembling the minis, found the gameplay too fiddly.
  • Legends of Andor: challenging coop game, but not much replayability once you've successfully completed a scenario. Looks gorgeous. Just don't play the dwarf, he/she is useless.
-Wizzkids D&D adventure games: I have three of these (Temple of Elemental Evil, Legends of Drizzt and Tomb of Annihilation). They're quick and fun, easy to set up, easy to understand. Based mostly on D&D 4E, I think.
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights: just great fun. Don't expect the final outcome to matter, or even to reach the end of the game. It's all about the stories.
  • Four Against Darkness: very basic 1-player D&D, for when you need to scratch that itch.
  • Legacy of Dragonholt: choose-you-own-adventure taken up a notch. Very well written, gorgeous production. You can also play it with more than one player.
  • Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth: I wanted to love this game so much, tried it again and again. I just couldn't get past the idea that nothing that happened on the table mattered, all I needed to do was click the app.
  • War of the Ring: pretty much the best 2-player fantasy boardgame I know, but it's big, very big. And it takes long. But it's amazing. Check out the review on Shut Up & Sit Down.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Mage Knight is a lot of fun! Though the last time I played, there was both a lot of learning involved for first-timers, and we had 3 of us. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't function just as fine with two, or I guess solo.

Once you start gaining power in that game, man... it takes off. Especially when you slay your first dragon!

Remove ads