• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some Icy Critters

feuer_faust

Explorer
Howdy! The following are some custom-made critters for an Eberron campaign I'm running in January. They'll appear a few times in an icy valley and cavern area. Now, normally I just make it up as I go, forsaking stat blocks for storytelling (consistently). I thought I'd try something new and stat them out since I've not done so for Fourth Edition, and don't wish to knock it untiul I try it. :)

[sblock="Ice Minion"]
Ice Minion level 3 minion
Medium Elemental Animate
---------------------
This creature is fairly bizarre: its body looks as if it were chiseled into a humaoid shape out of frosted ice. A triangular head pokes out from hunched shoulders, the only visible feature is a set of glowing white eyes. The legs meld with the ground around it, obscured by an icy mist.
---------------------
STR 17 DEX 14 WIS 12
CON 17 INT 12 CHA 8
Fort 18 Ref 17 Will 16
AC 17 HP: Minion Init: +2 Speed: 6
---------------------
Basic Melee: Slash +8 vs AC; 5 damage
Ranged (encounter): Clinging Frost (ranged 10) +6 vs Ref; 5 cold damage, and target is slowed 9save ends).
Ice Walk: The creature ignores difficult terrain if that terrain is the result of ice or snow.
[/sblock]

[sblock="Ice Skulk"]
Ice Skulk level 3 Artillery
Medium Elemental Animate
---------------------
This critter is a variant of the Ice Minion... long, spiny crystals adorn its body, an it seems to perpetually crouch low to the ground.
---------------------
STR 14 DEX 17 WIS 12
CON 12 INT 17 CHA 8
Fort 17 Ref 18 Will 16
AC 15 HP: 36/18 Init: +0 Speed: 6
---------------------
Basic Melee: Strike +8 vs AC; D6+3 damage
Ranged Basic: Ice Spine (Ranged 20) +10 vs AC: D10+3 damage
Ranged Blast (recharge 5+) Ice Showers (blast 1 within 15 squares) +6 vs Ref; 2d10+3 damage, all targets are immobilized (save ends).
Ice Walk: The creature ignores difficult terrain if that terrain is the result of ice or snow.
[/sblock]

[sblock="Ice Brute"]
Ice Brute level 3 Elite Brute
Large Elemental Animate
---------------------
This elemental stands nearly ten feet tall and five feet wide. Like its smaller cousins it is formed out of living ice. Unlike its smaller cousins, it seems exceptionally agressive.
---------------------
STR 17 DEX 12 WIS 12
CON 17 INT 12 CHA 8
Fort 20 Ref 16 Will 18
AC 17 HP: 114/57 Init: +0 Speed: 4
---------------------
Basic Melee: Ka-Bash (reach 1, 2 different targets) +6 vs AC; 2D6+3 damage
Close Burst: Tremor (close burst 1) +4 vs Reflex; 2d6+3 damage, all targets hit fall prone. (recharge 5+, recharge when first bloodied).
Melee: Wallop (reach 1) +6 vs AC; 2d6+3 damage, and target is thrown 3 squares and is knocked prone (DC15 acrobatics to land on feet instead). This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks. (recharge 5+)
[/sblock]

In context: These creatures feature in two encounters with relatively open areas that have a smattering of both Icy Terrain and Choke Frost (from the DMG). The party consists of four characters. The area is the icy home of the Ice Queen (also known as the Ice Witch). She hasn't been interested in visitors since her heart was broken sixty years ago... all of her fey servants have left here, so her halls are patrolled by elementals that were attracted to the sudden and unnatural cold she has created for the area.

The first group is 4 minions, 1 ice skulk, and 1 ice brute. The dominant terrain is a 10-foot wide frozen river running across the valley (which is about 50 feet across). The ice brute drops from the ceiling across the river if the PCs fail to negotiate with the Minions, and the Ice Skulk will rise up well behind the PCs after a round or two of combat.

The second is a group of 4 minions, 1 ice brute and a level 3 magic crossbow trap. The room is about 30x35 feet, with patches of ice and glazed-over carvings in the walls. The minions appear after the trap is sprung or the PCs disable the trap. The ice brute will wander in from a side cave after 3 rounds have passed (fighting or otherwise).

Lastly, we have the Ice Queen herself. Hopefully this combat never happens (there are better ways for the PCs to resolve the conflict). She maintains an air of cold aloofness, but can be provokes into a bitter fury. In case this happens, it takes place ina wedge-shaped throne room, about 70 feet across and 150 feet wide (she likes her space). Her throne is on the far wall, surrounded by ice and choke frost. The area is littered with ruined stone and icework, from the heyday of her court.

[sblock="The Ice Queen"]
The Ice Queen level 3 Solo Controller
Medium Fey Humanoid
---------------------
The Ice Queen is a creature that possesses a strange, alien beauty. She is human-like in appearance with nearly-translucent hair that creates intricate patterns like frost on a window. Her attire is similarly ornate, blending in with her body and the very cave around her. When angered she takes on a terrifying countenance, her face remaining emotionless but her throne room darkening and growing far colder than is comfortable.
---------------------
STR 12 DEX 14 WIS 17
CON 8 INT 12 CHA 17
Fort 16 Ref 19 Will 20
AC 19 HP: 180/90 Init: +0 Speed: 6
---------------------
Basic Melee: Strike (two attacks) +8 vs AC; D6+3 damage
Ranged Basic: Razor Ice (Ranged 20, 2 attacks) +8 vs AC; D10+3 damage
Ranged Blast (encounter):: Deep Freeze (Blast 2 within 10 squares) +8 vs Ref; 2D10+3 cold damage, and the area becomes icy terrain until the end of the encounter.
Ranged: Mind-Numb (ranged 15) +8 vs Will; 2D10+3 psychic and cold damage, target is stunned (save ends) (recharge 4+)
[/sblock]

What do you think? Should be challenging?

Mesh Hong

First Post
Not bad for a first go at 4e monster design. I would just suggest a few changes:-

Ice minion.
Basic Melee - probably should be 4 cold damage
Ranged - probably should be +7 vs Reflex, and 3 or 4 cold damage + effect, (actually as it is an encounter power I might stick with 5)

Ice skulk.
this seems alright as I see there will only ever be one of them in an encounter. If you were going to use more I would consider lowering the area effect damage. (personally I would increase the area and reduce the damage, maybe Area burst 3 within 15; attack +6 vs. Reflex; 1d8+3 damage)

Ice brute.
This is an elite and should have 1 action point and +2 to saves
Basic Melee - This attack should just tartget 1 creature as it is used for opportunity attacks, if you want a double attack just put it in as another power.
Tremor - I would reduce the damage on this to 1d10+3.
Wallop - probably should use the term push or slide instead of thrown.

Ice Queen.
This is a solo so it should have 2 action points and +5 to saves
Basic Melee - should only have 1 attack (reasons stated in Ice Brute)
Mind Numb - I think this is way too much damage, especially as it also contains a stun effect. I would change it to: Range 15; attack +8 vs. Will; 1d10+3 psychic damage; on hit target is stunned until the end of Ice Queens next turn.
I would also consider giving the Ice Queen an aura: Cold Heart; Aura 2; all creatures entering or starting their turn inside aura take 2 cold damage.

These are all just my personal opinions, and I do not know what level the characters will be when they face these creatures, I am assuming level 1, maybe 2.

feuer_faust

Explorer
Ah yes, that bit of information may help. It will be a party of four level three PCs (ranger, rogue, swordmage, and cleric).

Also, thanks for the feedback, I'l probably incorporate it a bit into these critters. :)

That said, I'm realizing that I've spent quite a while on these guys, and they'll only be promiment for a few scenes and thats it. I'll probably go back to my old habit of "eh, wing it" after this adventure.

Last edited:

jsepeta

First Post
very kewl

I had promised my daughter that over her Christmas break, we'd do a winter adventure where her character would be in the snow. This adventure of yours looks similar to what I was thinking: an Ice Queen, a couple of brutes, and some minions.

In preparation for this adventure, I purchased some awesome Reaper miniatures, the Snow Goons. These three malevolent snowmen are in the state of being painted, and I haven't yet figured out their powers or their attacks. But they look like gangster thugs, so I think that's how I'm going to portray them -- maybe they're "enforcers" for the Ice Queen.

Reaper Miniatures :: Miniatures

Also I lucked out and won a couple of painted mini auctions on ebay, including a blue-skinned female spellcaster and three blue-skinned orc-looking guys -- our evil enemy has arrived!

feuer_faust

Explorer
I'm glad I was inspirational for you. Always nice. :)

Your adventure sounds like it'll be a bit lighter than mine, which is fantastic if its for kids over the holidays. My plot revolves around a romantic betrayl sixty years back between the Ice Queen and the now-mayor of Wintertouch. Becuase of it, she's become distant and vindictive, shrouding the town in a perpetual winter that will eventually be the town's end. Unless out heroes can help, of course.

That said, I can see those Snow Goons as the bumbling, yet effective, enforcers for a vain Ice Queen. Her orcs are held in higher regard, if only for their absolute lack of humor and decency. She controls the ice racket: when she's happy, the town has ice cream, snow cones, etc. When she's angry, icy walk-ways and freezing nights. Hilarity and heroics ensue as the players work to free the town of Pasadena from her icy clutches.

Remove ads