• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some people in Canada have recieved the 4E FRCG early!

rounser

First Post
In any sensible setting, gods are pretty much the biggest deal out there.
No way. Not unless you run every pantheon like the ancient greek pantheon.

Standoffish and uncaring gods like Boccob and the Elder Elemental God are IMO a perfectly legitimate and arguably preferable choice to "get thy hands dirty" gods like the FR pantheon during the Time of Troubles, avatars of Bhaal in the Moonshaes, and St Cuthbert, Zagyg and Iuz in Greyhawk.

In fact, it could be argued that interventional deities are worse, because they present a dilemma comparable to FR's high level NPCs. "Why doesn't Elminster solve it?" becomes "Why doesn't Bahamut solve it?" if you can run into Bahamut and tip your hat to him on the way to the shops.

I much prefer a bottom-up approach, where the opinion of the innkeeper that the PCs are thugs has a lot more impact on the campaign than the opinion of some greater god, if he ever deigned to notice the PCs.

But we're talking about gods again, and they're flat out boring. Why can't we talk about something IMPORTANT to FR, like are there still mad archmages and senile liches, ancient weird magic floating around just for the flavour of it, the romantic doomed adventurers joshing around a campfire vibe, hints of arcane mysteries from long ago...you know, the stuff that makes FR, FR?

That's the stuff that's easy to get wrong.

Last edited:

Adrift

First Post
Everything rounser just said pretty much sums up why my group and I never played FR. One guy in our group reads all the books and is really into FR but the rest of us are pretty standoffish. The godling soap operas and uber-NPCs, as with Dragonlance in the past, make me wonder why PCs even decide to pick up a sword. Good ole Elminster, some uber-avatar of a godling, or perhaps Drizzt will be along to save the day.

Phaezen

First Post
Why can't we talk about something IMPORTANT to FR, like are there still mad archmages and senile liches, ancient weird magic floating around just for the flavour of it, the romantic doomed adventurers joshing around a campfire vibe, hints of arcane mysteries from long ago...you know, the stuff that makes FR, FR?

That's the stuff that's easy to get wrong.

Well looking at some of the previews that have come up, Cormyr is still Cormyr - seemingingly peacefull, but lots of intrigue under the surface, princes wanting to be king, nobles thinking they can do a better job, Sembia and the Shadowvar on the border. The Silvermarches are still a core of stability in the north surrounded by the wilds. Rumors abound of a kingdom of the dead. Mysterious cryps and ruins still dot the landscape, evil organisations look to extend thier influence. So it looks like there was some house cleaning and renovations done to clear out some space for adventurers again. I am looking forward to the new FR.

Phaezen

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Who gives a tinker's cuss about the gods. Honestly, why are people so obsessed with FR's soap opera of the gods? It's definitely the least interesting part of the setting, yet it's most of people seem to talk about on REALMS-L and other places.

4E FR comes out, and the first thing talked about is what gods are in? Sheesh. The soap opera goes on.

I totally agree, as a Realms fan of 20 years, the last thing I'm really interested about with the changes is the gods.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Kind of like what Planescape did with some D&D settings, such as Dragonlance?

Exactly, talk about a subversive/usurping setting, and I am a HUGE Planescape fan, but I can understand a lot people not liking Planescape marginalizing their campaign setting.

But Krynn was part of the great wheel in 1st Ed (and Spelljammer in 2nd Ed).

Remove ads