D&D 5E Some recent tweets.

On the WOTC forums I used to make treads colecting recent QnA tweets, for people who aren't into twitter themselves.
Will do one here to see if people think is is usefull.

@Rugholm86 Question: Critical on ability checks; Ex. on a grapple attempt, does critical win or the highest number?
@JeremyECrawford Ability checks don't crit. Attack rolls do.

@calebrus44 Can permanent magical effects be dispelled? Or are they no longer considered magical effects once permanent?
@JeremyECrawford If the effect of a spell becomes permanent, it can be dispelled, unless its description says otherwise.
@calebrus44 So the durations "Until Dispelled" and "Permanent" are functionally equivalent unless we houserule one of them?
@JeremyECrawford That's correct.

@soupkills is a 1 on an ability check not an instafail?
@JeremyECrawford Rolling a 1 on an ability check or a save is not an automatic failure. A 1 is an automatic miss for an attack.

@ameron_dm I have a readied action. Can I stop readying to take an opp attack? Or is ready a full turn commitment?
@JeremyECrawford Yes, you can take the opportunity attack and thereby stop readying.

@Orethalion When someone fails a disintegrate roll and is turned to ash, would that be considered a transformation into a new form?
@JeremyECrawford A transformation into a new form? No. The annihilation of your body? Yes.

@PAddlerPoet Therefore, Dispel Magic will undo Flesh to Stone > 1 min? & does this alter the rule for Duration/Instantaneous (PH 203)?
@JeremyECrawfor Dispel magic can end flesh to stone, which isn't instantaneous. The duration rule is unchanged (PH, 203).

@crashingDC does a paladin's aura of protection apply to their own charisma saving throws?
@JeremyECrawford Yes

@BrailSays Simulacrum+undying creature,such as naga or flame skull,does it reform in the same fashion,or no regenerative property?
@JeremyECrawford Simulacrum works only on a humanoid or a beast.

[MENTION=99486]Kilgrave[/MENTION]Matt Does Dispel Magic auto work vs Channel Divinity powers? Ie.. Paladin's Vow of Enmity magic effect.
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Dispel magic ends spells. A Channel Divinity option like the paladin's Sacred Weapon isn't a spell.

[MENTION=99486]Kilgrave[/MENTION]Matt Does Heavy Armor reduce Dex Saves or Dex skill other than stealth?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford If you have proficiency with it, heavy armor doesn't affect Dex. saves or ability checks, other than Stealth.

@Undead_Merchant Can a Cleric 14/Paladin 6 cast 9th-level Clr spells? "Must be of a level for which you have spell slots" confusing.
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford No. When multiclassing, your level in a particular class determines which spells you can learn/prepare from it. #DnD

@jaa0109 You can have to fighting styles active at once, right? Like Dueling and Defense?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Yes, if the two Fighting Style options aren't mutually exclusive, as Dueling and Great Weapon Fighting are.

@Undrhil is Magic Missile an attack that hits without an attack roll? It obv. hit since that's in the spell.
@JeremyECrawford Magic missile isn't intended to be an attack.
@zombieslag Seriously, if it's not an attack then what's it good for? Also, it does damage, doesn't that make it an attack?
@JeremyECrawford Dealing damage doesn't make something an attack. An attack roll—or being called an attack—makes it an attack.

@BrailSays Is the intent of Simulacrum that it can be healed through magic,hit die/resting,or ONLY through the alchemical process?
@JeremyECrawford The intent is that the simulacrum (PH, 276) can be healed only by the alchemical process.

@jsrichardson23 If you're invisible and you Ready a spell, do you become visible, ruining your invisibility spell?
@JeremyECrawford If you're under the effect of the invisibility spell, readying another spell does end the invisibility.

@gaaran00b what about if the blinding is caused by fog Cloud, and they were right next to you when they cast it
@JeremyECrawford W/o a special ability, you can't make an opportunity attack vs. a target you can't see, regardless of cause.

‏@aideddorg Can "minor illusion" (cantrip) create an effect like a shadow 5-foot cube ? Shadow can be considered as an object ?
@JeremyECrawford The system doesn't treat light or darkness as an object. An object is something tangible.

@84_175 Can a Barbarian/Cleric use Spiritual Weapon to attack while raging, if it is cast before entering rage?
@JeremyECrawford A barbarian's Rage makes concentration impossible but has no effect on spells that don't require concentration. #DnD

@JTburling love the new UA. Can you move on the turn provided by Ambuscade?
@MikeMearls yes

@JTburling Spirit Guardian benefits at higher lvls, 7,11, etc - are they powered by the same single “use” as the lvl 3 ones?
@MikeMearls yes, though not all of them will require it and this ranger would gain more uses at higher levels

@Sandrocristiano Skirmisher’s Stealth UA Ranger: At the end of the turn I don’t remain hidden from the target I chose. Gotta reroll Stealth,aye?
@MikeMearls yes, reroll

@Cresstian About Skirmisher's Stealth: You need to roll stealth against the chosen target at end of turn or not? Consider he is alone.
@MikeMearls need to reroll

@Gattocaso the Polearm Master feat allow to use a bonus action to male a melee attack. The melee attack can be a Shove?
@MikeMearls yes

the Jester

Legend
Thanks for taking the time to do this. :)

I gotta say, I disagree with Mearls on the "bonus action from Polearm Master" thing. It specifies that it's an attack with the butt end; I wouldn't let a pc use it for anything else.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :)

I gotta say, I disagree with Mearls on the "bonus action from Polearm Master" thing. It specifies that it's an attack with the butt end; I wouldn't let a pc use it for anything else.

one side note on the tweets I post, Mike Mearls has said he is not the rules guys and referes to Jeremy Crawford for that.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth

Shoving is an attack, so shoving with the butt end is an attack with the butt end. Seems like it fulfills the requirements of both the feat and the rules for shoving.

Remove ads