• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Some recent tweets.

@Hard_Vice Love this approach to psionics. Stance-like mechanic of disciplines is really interesting, and it feels different from magic.
@Hard_Vice Focus on purely mental effects, psychometabolism, and psychic damage makes it feel like it has its own place.
@MikeMearls yeah, definitely want to go that route, avoid psionic fireballs, etc.
@nahualrpg What about monsters on the MM with spell-like psionics abilities? Mind Flyers, Giths, etc.
@MikeMearls we'll loop back to those once the system is set - probably create variants to use

@BrailSays Some enemies in MM/etc have mundane items not listed-spiked shield,etc.Safe to give to PC?
@MikeMearls i'd tread a little carefully - some players try to use that as a way to wield giant-sized swords, etc

‏@mackenzie884 Hi, where can I submit feedback on the UA Ranger and other UA content?
@MikeMearls we'll have surveys going up on the ranger next month

@dndJester Out of the Abyss question: Will there be a free PDF for Basic like the other storylines? How about the NPCs on pages 130-31?
@MikeMearls yes, I think it was accidentally bumped off the schedule

@jstormtracker I'm a little confused by a Ranger's Primeval Awareness. It doesn't indicate location or number of enemies, what about types?
@MikeMearls just type

@zgreenham In the Ranger Unearthed Arcana is there a limit on how often you can use Ranger Path abilities per day? Thanks!
@MikeMearls once per short rest, at least for levels 1 - 5

‏@aloadof:):):):):):):):) Could a Druid already in beast form use wild shape to switch to another beast? Would they need to revert first?
@DaddyDM Can you change beast form w/o expending wildshape once already a beast, since it last hours?
@MikeMearls nope

@DeadOnToilet Is there a way to block/hinder Mystics Conquering Mind ability? ie.Mind Blank spell or Magic items? @MikeMearls #sageadvice
@MikeMearls mind blank would work, as would anything else that specifically prevents mental control

@meoka2368 BM gives command to "kill the goblins." Still uses an action every turn, though the command hasn't changed?
@MikeMearls i'd let it work, but RAW are more strict

@jaa0109 The Spell-Less ranger, does it still gain features like Colossus Slayer and Land's Stride?
@MikeMearls no, IIRC
‏@jaa0109 Also, how would Primeval Awareness work, assuming it's still attached to the Ranger in this case?
@MikeMearls assume the ranger can use it once per short rest, as if activated with a 5th level spell slot

‏@TadenRif with improved divine smite, does the additional damage also add to thrown melee weapons damage (unlike basic divine smite) ?
@MikeMearls no, but honestly adding smite damage to ranged weapon attacks isn't breaking anything. just don't add it to spells

@_FoxyBoxes_ Do(/should) you apply the Encounter Multiplier to the XP awarded? If not it seems swarm battles award to little
@MikeMearls no, award only their base value. the multiplier just captures the dangers of being outnumbered

‏@tcervo - I know it's not your doing, but shuttering the WotC forums is a horrible idea. So much great fan-created content will be lost.
@MikeMearls unfortunately, it's a vicious cycle. forums aren't great for archiving info. the longer they're open, the worse the problem becomes

@_FoxyBoxes_ so if I want to level a party up quicker, less numerous but greater threats are the way to go?
@MikeMearls bingo

‏@neologiker Yeah the text is confusing, but your are not "using" WS to regain normal form, so don't get the meld?
@MikeMearls that's a good way to look at it. ending a wild shape is not the same as starting it.
‏@neologiker Thx! What about WS + armor prof? Is beast shape constrained to prof of Druid? Not a prob for barded animals?
@MikeMearls wild shape does not specifically call out that you retain armor profs. use new form's
‏@neologiker So barding a WS druid gives them disadv on str/dex ab checks/saves/attacks, barding a regular animal does not?
@MikeMearls no, my reading is that if creature is proficient you gain that prof

[MENTION=1958]matt[/MENTION]domville What happens with a Surprise when PCs/enemies each have a creature that successfully hides?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls to be clear: what if both sides surprised? Surprised creatures don't act. Creatures on both sides that were not suprised do
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls team A, B, and C, vs. 1, 2, and 3. A and 1 are hidden. They act while rest are surprised. Roll init as normal for order
[MENTION=1958]matt[/MENTION]domville So, A and 1 are not surprised if their Stealths beat EVERYONE on the opposing team's Passive Perceptions, right?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls yes
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls keep in mind that A and 1 might not be aware of each other, but they aren't surprised.
[MENTION=1958]matt[/MENTION]domville Based on the above, would this chart be accurate?

CPOpYVjWsAA2Q_o.png
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls looks good to me, though i'd run it by [MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford - he's the rules expert

MG.0

First Post
[MENTION=1958]matt[/MENTION]domville So, A and 1 are not surprised if their Stealths beat EVERYONE on the opposing team's Passive Perceptions, right?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls yes

That's backward. Succeeding on your stealth doesn't make you not surprised, it makes other people surprised if those people don't notice any other threats.

Anyone who notices at least one person in the opposing group is not surprised.

You can have a dozen super stealthy assassins in your party, but if you have one loud fighter clanking along in full plate, I'm not going to be surprised even if I don't notice the assassins.

[MENTION=14172]KaosDevice[/MENTION] Do wizards have to learn a ritual version of a spell apart from the normally cast version or are they the same?
‏@JeremyECrawford Ritual versions of spells don't have to be learned separately from the spells

[MENTION=6769983]Thea[/MENTION]djunctDM Do magical weapons such as Flametongue also have pluses to hit/ dmg?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford A magic weapon grants a bonus to attack/damage rolls only if the weapon's description says so.
[MENTION=74208]devlin1[/MENTION] This seems self-evident.
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Some people get thrown because of how magic weapons worked in the previous two editions.

[MENTION=20995]Brain[/MENTION]power4 Clarifying "in combat", does the creature need to be aware of an enemy for surprise to end, or just be 1st in initiative?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Surprise happens only in the 1st round of a combat. Later, you might be unaware of someone but not surprised. #DnD
[MENTION=20995]Brain[/MENTION]power4 That seems odd. An orc with a nat 20 dex roll has spider sense for the invisible assassin who hasn't attacked yet.
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford A high initiative can reduce the time you spend surprised about combat starting, but it doesn't help you see the invisible.

Remove ads