• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Some recent tweets.

@JaggerGamming does "if spell is in your class's spell list" count as a class requirement to use spell scroll with Use Magic Device?
@JeremyECrawford No, but as DM, I let a thief try to use a spell scroll by making an ability check appropriate to the spell.

‏@vonklaude for triggering (or not) Assassinate auto-crits, do you rule surprised ends for a combatant at the end of their first turn?
@JeremyECrawford The intent is that a surprised creature stops being surprised at the end of its first turn in combat.

‏@redwoodguardian can someone with Tavern Brawler pick up a weapon and get full dmg + prof. Or would it Max out at improve 1d4 +prof.
@JeremyECrawford If you wield a weapon without proficiency, you follow the normal rule (PH, 146). Tavern Brawler isn't related.

@derekstucki Does planar binding work with conjure elemental or does the Elemental disappear 6 seconds too early?
@JeremyECrawford As DM, I'd allow you to pair conj. elemental with planar binding if the latter starts when the monster appears.

@Orethalion What happens if a wild shaped druid is reduced to 0 by disintegrate? Does he revert to normal physical form?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The intent is that a druid using Wild Shape is disintegrated if the druid, not the beast form, drops to 0 hp.

‏@AndruC Rest Q! Is travelling via horseback for more than an hour considered light activity to qualify for long rest?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford It's your DM's call. That said, we didn't intend riding for 1+ hours when we thought of light activity.
[MENTION=22310]Eugene[/MENTION]marshall Could minor illusion create a fog cloud? If so, would shooting an arrow thru it cancel the illusion? Thanks! Love #DnD !
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford An illusory object made by minor illusion is meant to be like a stool or a rock, not an atmospheric effect.
[MENTION=3403]Angel[/MENTION]55word can you use Extra Attack to take grapple actions or does grapple replace your entire action?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford "If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them" (PH, 195).

‏@AGNKim A wiz casts a fireball during surprise rd. Do enemies get disadv on saving throw? What is the penalty for being surprised?
@JeremyECrawford 3 uur3 uur geleden Being surprised has no effect on saves. See p. 189 of the Player's Handbook for the effects of surprise.

@zaboomatthew Can you ready your character to move over when someone approaches them? Or id dodge your only option?
@JeremyECrawford See the Ready action (PH, 193). It lets you move or take an action in response to a trigger.

‏@neologiker Bag of Holding: extradimensional space or part of Astral Plane? Can it be pierced/cut/torn from the inside?
@JeremyECrawford The inside of a bag of holding is an extradimensional space, and the bag can be damaged from the inside.

Jaelommiss

First Post
Shoving is an attack, so shoving with the butt end is an attack with the butt end. Seems like it fulfills the requirements of both the feat and the rules for shoving.

The rules for shoving (PHB 195) open with the qualifier "using the attack action." As the bonus action attack granted by Polearm Master is not the attack action, it could not be used for shoves. Similar wording is used for grappling. This is likely designed to stop everyone getting an extra chance to shove simply by picking up an offhand weapon.

As a dm I would likely allow the bonus action attack to be used to shove, or grapple if using quarterstaff in one hand, but that does defy what is written. I also allow players who declare that they want to attack and haft attack for their action and bonus action to take the attacks in whatever order they like instead of forcing them to slash, slash, smack in order.

Bagpuss

Legend
@calebrus44 Can permanent magical effects be dispelled? Or are they no longer considered magical effects once permanent?
@JeremyECrawford If the effect of a spell becomes permanent, it can be dispelled, unless its description says otherwise.
@calebrus44 So the durations "Until Dispelled" and "Permanent" are functionally equivalent unless we houserule one of them?
@JeremyECrawford That's correct.

I thought you could dispel your own spells for free at will if they last "Until Dispelled", but "Permanent" you needed to actually use Dispel Magic, and make a roll.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
The rules for shoving (PHB 195) open with the qualifier "using the attack action." As the bonus action attack granted by Polearm Master is not the attack action, it could not be used for shoves. Similar wording is used for grappling. This is likely designed to stop everyone getting an extra chance to shove simply by picking up an offhand weapon.

As a dm I would likely allow the bonus action attack to be used to shove, or grapple if using quarterstaff in one hand, but that does defy what is written. I also allow players who declare that they want to attack and haft attack for their action and bonus action to take the attacks in whatever order they like instead of forcing them to slash, slash, smack in order.

Look at the next sentence on p. 195: "If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them." Shoving uses the same exact wording as well. Polearm Master only lets you use the bonus action when you take the Attack action, so you are making multiple attacks with the Attack action are you not?

I can see an interpretation that says you're not actually making the bonus attack with the Attack action, but the alternative interpretation doesn't really contradict anything that I'm seeing.

@Neologiker Can we make barding for a wild shaped Druid? Would the barding meld back into the druid's humanoid form?
@MikeMearls I don't think that the armor absorption thing works in animal -> druid transforms, just the other way

@nerdimmersion Is there a reason almost all playtest races have +1 to 2 abilities, rather than +2/+1 like the PHB races?
@MikeMearls no, but if the disparity is an issue it will come up in feedback.

@svargth If sneak attack is used, are sneak damage dice part of the weapon damage dice? are sneak dice maximzd with sharpness sword?
@MikeMearls i'd say yes

@AGMyadda does heavy armor master give DR against bite attacks?
@MikeMearls yes so long as the bite delivers slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage

Remove ads