• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Some recent tweets.

[MENTION=4650]Lord[/MENTION]_Sicarious in an ambush scenario, after an initial volley of arrows before being discovered, do ambushers then get surprise round?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford That initial volley takes place during the first round of combat, when the ambushers' foes are surprised. #DnD
[MENTION=2465]jason[/MENTION]hobson I'm a little confused at the difference between a 'scroll' and a 'spell scroll'. How are they not the same thing?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Scrolls are a category. Spell scrolls and scrolls of protection are examples of things in that category. #DnD
[MENTION=34874]dungeon[/MENTION]bastard If an invisible creature picks up an object, does the object become invisible, or only items carried at the time of casting
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Only items worn/carried when invisibility is cast are invisible, but I'd let you conceal something under them. #DnD

[MENTION=73386]leo[/MENTION]QR917 hi! Please clarify the abilitiy "awakened mind" for the warlock.The communication is only one way or can return to warlock
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The Sage Advice Compendium (link in my profile) has the answer: https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.03.pdf
[MENTION=12251]glass[/MENTION]Spiider "Each type of musical instrument requires a separate proficiency." Does "type" refer to wind, string, (1/2)
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The PH has examples of musical instrument types on p. 154. They are lute, lyre, etc., not wind, strings. etc. #DnD

@imnotasnowflake can shocking grasp spell be used w/ two weapon fighting?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The two-weapon fighting rule (PH, 195) works with melee weapons, not spells. #DnD

@nahualrpg can a multiclass barbarian / battle master use maneuvers while raging?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Nothing in the barbarian's Rage feature precludes the use of maneuvers. #DnD

@SwipeRightJoe a 'scroll' scroll of protection and a 'spell scroll' scroll of protection (other than how the two scroll types work)
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford A scroll of protection (DMG, 199) and a spell scroll (DMG, 200) are entirely different types of scrolls.
@SwipeRightJoe so you wouldn't get a scroll of protection that's a spell scroll? (The SA column uses SoP as a normal scroll example)
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Correct. They're distinct magic items, just as a frost brand and a flame tongue are distinct but share a category.

[MENTION=6722967]DaddyDM[/MENTION] can you attack a target with a whip, since it has reach, if you are on the opposite side of an ally?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls yes, but target might have cover

‏@mrlong78 there was a question about using the D&D Basic rules with Out of the Abyss book. Is that still possible?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls the basic rules doc for OotA is in process

@orihalori hi mike, a monk with tavern brawler feat. Can improvised weapons become monk weapons jackie chan style?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls not by rules as written, but it works fine if you allow it
[MENTION=4139]Neo[/MENTION]logiker Casting a spell during long rest breaks long rest? If not, can you cast, finish rest, regain spell slot? #DnD
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls not sure RAW, but I'd allow you to regain the slot. it's not breaking anything at first glance.

[MENTION=4139]Neo[/MENTION]logiker Casting a spell during long rest breaks long rest? If not, can you cast, finish rest, regain spell slot? #DnD
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford If you spend a spell slot during a long rest and finish the rest, you do get the slot back. #DnD

@EdKruze Can a Sunblade be used as a Monk Weapon?
@JeremyECrawford No, since a sun blade counts as a longsword. #DnD
@boymonster Can I have a sun blade that counts as a warhammer? Asking for a dwarf.
@JeremyECrawford A DM could certainly make up sun blade variants.

@Raz_Berry_Ranid It says if you are proficient with short swords you can use the sunblade.
@JeremyECrawford The item, nonetheless, counts as a longsword. As DM, would I allow a monk to break the rule? Probably.

Last edited:

[MENTION=77831]Pragm4[/MENTION] As written, Destructive Wrath maximizes all damage getting rolled, as long as some of it is thunder or lightning, correct?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The cleric's Destructive Wrath is meant to maximize thunder/lightning damage only. #DnD

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[MENTION=12251]glass[/MENTION]Spiider "Each type of musical instrument requires a separate proficiency." Does "type" refer to wind, string, (1/2)
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The PH has examples of musical instrument types on p. 154. They are lute, lyre, etc., not wind, strings. etc. #DnD

Wish it were that simple!

"You must be proficient with wind instruments" (DMG p. 185) to play the pipes of haunting or pipes of the sewer.

Wind instruments is not a category on PHB 154, nor is "pipe" or "pipes" (though "pan flute" and "flute are). The rules are inconsistent, and JC's answer here is not, I feel, helpful.

[rant]The needless specialization of musical instruments is just sloppy. "Strings" "wind" and "percussion" would be sufficient (add "special" and "voice" if you like): bards get three musical instrument proficiencies, done.

It still doesn't solve the "focus" problem, where all instruments are regularly wielded (but not played?) one-handed, but I know that ship has sailed. This was a bugbear of mine more than two years ago, during the play test.[/rant]

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Am I the only person TOTALLY LOST on the difference between scroll and spell scroll?

Some magic scrolls have spells on them and are spell scrolls.

Some magic scrolls DON'T have spells on them and therefore, are not spell scrolls. The same way a pair of magic boots isn't "spell boots" and a magic sword isn't a "spell sword" and a magic necklace isn't a "spell necklace." Those things can have magic effects, that just happen to not be spells. A non-spell-scroll, like a scroll of protection, has a magic effect, that isn't a spell.

A spell scroll requires you to have the spell on your list to use it, because that's just a restriction unique to spell scrolls. A non-spell-scroll can be used by anyone, just like a potion can be drank by anyone or a pair of magic boots can be worn by anyone or a magic sword can be swung by anyone.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Am I the only person TOTALLY LOST on the difference between scroll and spell scroll?
Certainly not. I recall at least three separate occasions on which I straightened out the differences for someone prior to this Sage Advice article.

It really is as simple as there being some magical scrolls that do nifty stuff - basically anything that's not actually a spell could be done, but only protection scrolls are covered in the DMG - and a specific type of scroll that casts a spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads