D&D 5E Some thoughts on skills.

pemerton

Legend
Broken record, but having clear spelled out DCs allows players to make informed and tactical choices about skill investment in open ended point assignment systems, where they can decide to stop investing after hitting specific ability breakpoints.
Only if we also assume that players have some control over the fiction their PCs will encounter (which corresponds to those clearly spelled out DCs) and have some control over what will follow from succeeding or failing against those DCs.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
You are missing my point.

A DM can choose 5,10, 15, 20 or 25 for the DC of an action like breaking down a door. This choice and deciding which bonuses applies will determine the style of the DMs game.

"Jum a 3 foot gap. DC 20." "Convice the lord to lend you men to guard your camp. DC 5."

Choosing a lower number makes the PCs look more competent. Choosing a higher number makes the PCs incompetent. Choosing the lower numbers makes them look superheroic. Choosing the highest number makes them look unable to do their jobs.

There is a lot of talk in the community about "DMs letting the players role or roleplay or whatever". There is very little discussion within the community of which numbers a DM should choose and what opportunity costs they should apply to get the feel and style they desire. It's all "Just choose a number. Wow. That was unexpected"
No, I understand your point, but perhaps you missed the part in the DMG where it says you can stick with just 10, 15, or 20 and your game will run fine. In the same section ("Difficulty Class"), it goes on to talk about how characters at different levels may struggle to hit certain high DCs and that you can mostly ignore DC 5 and just rule success without a roll.

Unless it's a contest in my game, it's always DC 10, 15, or 20. That's true of my gritty zero-to-hero dungeon crawls and my D&D/street level supers mashup. It's true of low level games and high level games in my experience. It works just fine.

How much more needs to be said when it's so simple and clear?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
No, I understand your point, but perhaps you missed the part in the DMG where it says you can stick with just 10, 15, or 20 and your game will run fine. In the same section ("Difficulty Class"), it goes on to talk about how characters at different levels may struggle to hit certain high DCs nad that you can mostly ignore DC 5 and just rule success without a roll.

Unless it's a contest in my game, it's always DC 10, 15, or 20. That's true of my gritty zero-to-hero dungeon crawls and my D&D/street level supers mashup. It's true of low level games and high level games in my experience. It works just fine.

How much more needs to be said when it's so simple and clear?
The part where the 10, 15, and 20 is tied to specific actions.

DC 20 is Hard.

What is considered Hard? Hard for whom? How successful should an expert be at Hard actions? How successful should an amateur be at Hard actions? What is considered being an expert or ameteur?

Pedantic

Legend
Only if we also assume that players have some control over the fiction their PCs will encounter (which corresponds to those clearly spelled out DCs) and have some control over what will follow from succeeding or failing against those DCs.
And I do! The primary purpose of narrative is to determine what the players will count as a victory condition in any given moment, what they engage with will produce the situation they'll be making skill checks in, and the results of those checks proceed naturally from the actions themselves.

The rest will be up to whatever is happening in the described fictional situation.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

DC 20 is Hard.

What is considered Hard? Hard for whom? How successful should an expert be at Hard actions? How successful should an amateur be at Hard actions? What is considered being an expert or ameteur?
Whether a character is an expert or an amateur is, in part, determined by ability score and proficiency (but it doesn't actually matter except for bragging rights). It shouldn't affect DC at all - trying to break down the door with brute strength has the same DC whether the barbarian or the rogue does it. It's just that the barbarian possibly has a better chance of succeeding on the roll, if there is one, if they are stronger than the rogue. All that affects DC is whether the DM thinks whatever you are doing is easy, moderate, or hard. The whole section on Using Ability Scores, which includes Difficulty Class, covers this adequately in my view.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Taking a page out of other RPGs:

Knowledges -- things you know. For 5E, Intelligence skills definitely, most tools (knowledge separate from application?).
Skills -- things you do. For 5E, Strength and Dexterity skills, maybe some Charisma, perhaps some tools.
Talents -- things about you. For 5E, most Wisdom and Charisma skills, possibly some tools such as instruments.

Each race/class/background could grant so many of each, or you could do a "point-system" where maybe knowledges are 1 point, skills 2 points, and talents 3 points or something?

pemerton

Legend
And I do! The primary purpose of narrative is to determine what the players will count as a victory condition in any given moment, what they engage with will produce the situation they'll be making skill checks in, and the results of those checks proceed naturally from the actions themselves.

The rest will be up to whatever is happening in the described fictional situation.
Re the bolded - if the rules of the game in question permit the GM/referee to introduce new or hitherto secret content into the fictional situation, so as to affect the outcomes of successful or failed tasks, then the players' ability to make informed and tactical choices reduces.

Classic examples from published modules include if they fail to spot the clue, they find a note or if they kill the BBEG, a lieutenant takes over to keep things in motion.

A more banal example is when a player builds their PC "blind" relative to the GM's plans, and so builds a PC who is excellent at tracking and safe-cracking, but the GM never frames the PC into any situations in which successful tracking or successful safe-cracking would help achieve any player or PC goals.

My two favourite RPGs with the sort of specified DCs you prefer are Burning Wheel and Torchbearer, which use various devices (slightly different across the two system, though not utterly different considering they come from the same design studio) to avoid the sorts of problem I've pointed to.

In the context of the thread, I guess the point I'm making (and I think maybe you agree?) is that we can't talk sensibly about what makes for a good or bad skill system without talking in more general terms about how framing and resolution work.

DC 20 is Hard.

Isn't that what DM judgement is for??

pemerton

Legend

DC 20 is Hard.

This seems to me to raise a bigger (or at least more far-reaching) question, which is what do we understand the DCs to mean?

In Rolemaster, DCs are meant to express something about the fiction. They are a tool the GM uses to establish and convey the setting. Burning Wheel is the same, and explains it more clearly:

BW Gold Revised (pp 72-3): It is the GM's job to set obstacles [= DCs]. By presenting obstacles where he sees fit . . . he builds the mood of the game. . . . it is the GM's job to sculpt, pace and nudge the atmosphere in a certain direction. And not just through beautiful descriptions, he uses the game mechanics to reinforce those descriptions.

BW Codex (p 132): [T]hese obstacles create setting. . . . The obstacle is the number, but it's also the object of adversity in the fiction. Obstacles, over time, create a sense of space and logic in the game world.​

Compare this to, say, Robin Laws's HeroQuest Revised, where DCs are a pacing device somewhat independent of the fiction:

HeroQuest Revised (p 74): Resistances [= DCs] are usually assumed to have all complicating or mitigating factors build into them . . . Even when PCs re-encounter a previous obstacle, you can change the resistance directly if the pass/fail cycle [= the game's approach to pacing] or other dramatic or pacing reasons indicate that this is the most entertaining choice.

Make sure that you describe changing conditions so that the change in difficulty appears believable. [Examples are then given: weather for archery; market fluctuations for investing; having hired a new mechanic for vehicle performance; etc.]​

Which is 5e meant to be more like? Is DC 20 an objective property of a fictional circumstance, that is meant to also tell us something about (eg) how a typical NPC might experience it? Or is it a choice about how to manage the pacing of play, and so meaningful only in relation to these PCs in this situation?

It seems deliberate that the 5e rules don't answer these questions, as they wish to present themselves as amenable to a wide range of approaches. But any given table might want to form a view about it, to help inform their own approach to the game.

Pedantic

Legend
Re the bolded - if the rules of the game in question permit the GM/referee to introduce new or hitherto secret content into the fictional situation, so as to affect the outcomes of successful or failed tasks, then the players' ability to make informed and tactical choices reduces.

Classic examples from published modules include if they fail to spot the clue, they find a note or if they kill the BBEG, a lieutenant takes over to keep things in motion.
I don't particularly see a problem here. The GM will emulate the fictional world to the best of their ability, including both the information the PCs know and do not know. PCs will often want to find out more information to best achieve their goals.

A more banal example is when a player builds their PC "blind" relative to the GM's plans, and so builds a PC who is excellent at tracking and safe-cracking, but the GM never frames the PC into any situations in which successful tracking or successful safe-cracking would help achieve any player or PC goals.
You're employing a very specific view of the GM's role, which I don't generally ascribe to them. GM's don't frame situations, they provide information about the fictional world, and make decisions for the non-PC actors. Situations emerge from the interactions of the PCs, the setting and the NPCs therein. A PC who can pick locks will attempt to achieve their means by picking locks whenever possible and helpful. A PC who can track will use a different set of tactics than one who can't.

My two favourite RPGs with the sort of specified DCs you prefer are Burning Wheel and Torchbearer, which use various devices (slightly different across the two system, though not utterly different considering they come from the same design studio) to avoid the sorts of problem I've pointed to.

In the context of the thread, I guess the point I'm making (and I think maybe you agree?) is that we can't talk sensibly about what makes for a good or bad skill system without talking in more general terms about how framing and resolution work.
The problem we'll run into, is that you're going to attempt to frame your understanding of the GM's role as a universal framework for roleplaying, I'm going to disagree, and at some point someone will tell me I'm lying (possibly to myself, or possibly in general) and our discussion will thereafter breakdown.

I posit the GM's role is to create a fictional world, and then to serve as a window into that world. Players settle on some goals inside that fictional world, and then do their best to achieve them.

Remove ads