Some UA Variants

lonesoldier

First Post
How do you guys feel about using Action Points and the Vitality/Wound system outlined in Unearthed Arcana in D&D? I realize the systems were made for d20modern and Star Wars (respectivly), and I was wondering if they are too unbalancing.

Remember that Non-heros do not get VP, so they get mowed down really easily. Also criticals become much more dangerous. Without changing anything else, would it be too unbalancing to add to a D&D game?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I'm not all that fond of WP/Vitality, although a lot of my friends are.

Action Points, on the other hand, work great with any game. Notice that they are used in Eberron too.

Nightcloak

First Post
Action points are work very well. I'd watch the "burn to gain any feat option" however. I've seen some spell casters go to town on metamagic feats.

[sblock]
All right! I admit it. The spell caster was me.

I played a one shot last year and my 11th level wizard mowed down a Bebelith by himself. He burned an action point every round on empowering a cone of cold.[/sblock]

derbacher

Explorer
After a year in Eberron, the action point system is fantastic. The first time the dwarven monk jumped of the cliff in Xen'drik to save his gnome companion from the claws of a "glidewing" and made it only by the difference the action point made, we were convinced! And because of the "burn an AP to stabilize" rule, we haven't had one TPK in this campaign. :\ Uh, wait, is that a good thing?

-----
Mission continues.

Nightcloak

First Post
derbacher said:
After a year in Eberron, the action point system is fantastic. The first time the dwarven monk jumped of the cliff in Xen'drik to save his gnome companion from the claws of a "glidewing" and made it only by the difference the action point made, we were convinced! And because of the "burn an AP to stabilize" rule, we haven't had one TPK in this campaign. :\ Uh, wait, is that a good thing?

-----
Mission continues.

You actually want to off your players.

You are evil :eek: :p :cool:

derbacher

Explorer
Originally posted by Nightcloak
You actually want to off your players.

You are evil :eek: :p :cool:

Well, not want to. It's just that before Action Points, it seemed to happen.

A lot.

Maybe I was just trying too hard to meet the requirements for the RBDM club? :confused:

-----
Resting after the mission.

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
lol.

Well, the "Action point to stabilize" rule seems a bit easy to me. Takes some of the fun out of almost dying, and then at -9 having the dmpc coming over and casting cure light wounds.

:p

~
GrinReaper
"The counterattack is slowing down"

Y.O.Morales

First Post
I used Action Points in my deceased campaign, but instead gave 5 points per level-up (instead of 5+half character level). I did so because in a friend's mid-level d20 Modern campaign, action points never seemed to be in risk of ending. I spent many of them per session, and never got below 10.

Nightcloak

First Post
Y.O.Morales said:
I used Action Points in my deceased campaign, but instead gave 5 points per level-up (instead of 5+half character level). I did so because in a friend's mid-level d20 Modern campaign, action points never seemed to be in risk of ending. I spent many of them per session, and never got below 10.

That's an interesting idea. Kind of like how the Book of Roguish Luck gives Luck Points every level when you get to roll hit points.

I may need to give that one a go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases