• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Song when ENWorld.org front page loads

James0235

First Post
I have no idea how that's even possible. The code is YouTube, not Vimeo, and it doesn't autoplay. How a non-autoplay YouTube video is outputting an autoplay Vimeo video is breaking my brain.

If it helps at all this is the video that loudly blares every time I visit EN WORLD.

James0235

First Post
Well right now you should be getting the teaser for REAL LIFE.

Yes, but only if you are viewing the site using the black theme. But, still, when viewing with the white theme it still loudly blasts this same damn video.

I've tried it at home and at work and I called a friend and asked him to view the site using both of these themes and he is getting the same thing on his 2 computers.

Nagol

Unimportant
Since I'm under-used at work at the moment I decided to do a bit of investigation.

1) Child-of-black plays sound at the main page. Black does not.

I grabbed the html from both pages and threw it into windiff.

Child-of-black defines an extra div id="container" at line 489. Black as no such div defined anywhere.

Yanking the div out of child of black stopped the noise. I didn't use a scalpel; I just chopped everything from "<DIV" to the first "</DIV" -- it also grabbd an ad.

Looking through the javascript, I don't see an immediate culprit. Plusone.js does reference a container attribute, but I didn't spend time on parsing out what it does.

James0235

First Post
I found something, but didn't fix it! That's for others on the site to investigate/correct if my findings hold up.

If the sound stopped something else happened.

Something else has happened then. A minute or 2 before your post I noticed that stupid video had finally disappeared. I don't know who did it or what they did or why it took so many weeks to get it done but I am very happy.

I know several people who stopped visiting Enworld many years ago because it was so hard to read without getting a headache. This was before the child of black skin existed or at least before I knew it existed. The joke for a long time was that there must be something on the site that Morrus didn't want people to read so he made the whole site nearly impossible to read.

With this video blasting for the past month the joke has been that there must now be something on the site that Morrus doesn't want people to hear. :D

Nagol

Unimportant
Yep, sound is gone for me as well.

Definitely not my doing and the div id="container" still exists in child-of-black and doesn't exist in black, so not based on my investigation either.

If I'm still as bored tomorrow, I may try to discover what changed in the html.

Remove ads