Sony & Marvel work it out

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Huzzah! An agreement has been reached for cooperation on a third Spider Man movie starring Tom Holland.

Sony has the right to use Spider-Man in its "Spider-Universe" movies (so, we may see Spider-Man show up in a Venom movie, for example). And, Spider-Man can show up in one other MCU movie.

Best of both worlds... and will keep Tom Holland busy for several years, and probably earn him an obscene amount of money.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A note on them having the agreement for one more movie:

There is a lot of discussion that Sony Pictures is apt to get bought in the next few years (apparently, Amazon was mulling a bid for such, to bolster the Amazon Prime streaming service). It has been reported that Sony's right to Spider-Man will revert to Marvel if Sony gets purchased. Making a longer-term agreement, then, could complicate matters, so I can see Marvel/Disney keeping the deals short until Sony's long-term status settles out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Pretty much premature tabloid coverage of negotiations and positioning and bluffs ending up with the expected result.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm going to agree with lowkey on this one - it wasn't premature. I think Sony honestly thought that it was going to be fine if they did their own Spider-Man movie, and was ready to walk away from the table.

I would be completely unsurprised if Marvel leaked some information to get the (predictable) fan reaction, which helped Sony see the error of their ways.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sony could, and should, sell- someone will offer them a pretty penny.

I agree. Even if you remove the Marvel content, there's a lot of value there - especially in the hands of someone who is a tad better than Sony at controlling production costs.

I'm excited about this, but also somewhat ashamed for being excited about two megacorporations having finished posturing and leveraging over money.

Regardless, it'll be great to see Spider-Man continue to play a role in the MCU.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So this 25% (instead of the 50-50 Disney wanted original), is OK.

Well, in any negotiation, you start higher than your minimum, right?

Wonder if Sony's on-again/off-again sinister six film will include the characters are portrayed in the Tom Holland's films?

I think, under these circumstances, a Sinister Six would be a hard sell. The two Spider-villains currently established were in the original Sinister Six. One is dead*, and the other has already once on screen chosen to not destroy Spider-Man. You'd need to get four more villains into play, and they'd get short shrift if they weren't solidly established elsewhere beforehand.

Plus, are they going to try this when the Suicide Squad was so lackluster? Hasn't that proven that establishing a whole crew of villains at once isn't a great idea?

*Theoretically. But, yeah, Master of Illusion and all that.

Remove ads