D&D 5E Sorcerer vs Warlock: Which do you suggest?

DarkMoon250

Explorer
After years of searching, I've finally found a warm and welcoming group to play my first ever DnD campaign with. We're having our first meeting next week... and I have no freaking idea what class I want to play.

I know I've narrowed it down to either Sorcerer or Warlock (particularly Shadow Magic and Hexblade), but I can't seem to make the final choice on my own. Both have very appealing yet very different roleplay opportunities, both have rather different combat styles, and I've heard various complaints about perceived shortcomings of both classes (as well as complaints about those complaints). It feels like it should be an easier decision, but there are so many different factors that keep me flip-fopping between them.

What do you all suggest?

Perhaps it would be helpful to know what kinds of things you would like your character to be good at? And also what level the character is starting at?

So, first of all, I need you to go mess up Morrus's perfect poll.

Between sorcerers and warlocks, I personally favor warlocks. The various pacts offer a good deal of character customization. And then, you've got your patron to worry about. Having the source of your power be an intelligent entity whose interests don't necessarily align with your own is a huge roleplaying opportunity. You can get a lot of drama out of warlocks and their sinister masters.

Sorcerers, to me, just feel like a more boring version of wizards.

GlassJaw

Hero
So, first of all, I need you to go mess up Morrus's perfect poll.

Between sorcerers and warlocks, I personally favor warlocks. The various pacts offer a good deal of character customization. And then, you've got your patron to worry about. Having the source of your power be an intelligent entity whose interests don't necessarily align with your own is a huge roleplaying opportunity. You can get a lot of drama out of warlocks and their sinister masters.

Sorcerers, to me, just feel like a more boring version of wizards.
Pretty much this.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
After years of searching, I've finally found a warm and welcoming group to play my first ever DnD campaign with. We're having our first meeting next week... and I have no freaking idea what class I want to play.

I know I've narrowed it down to either Sorcerer or Warlock (particularly Shadow Magic and Hexblade), but I can't seem to make the final choice on my own. Both have very appealing yet very different roleplay opportunities, both have rather different combat styles, and I've heard various complaints about perceived shortcomings of both classes (as well as complaints about those complaints). It feels like it should be an easier decision, but there are so many different factors that keep me flip-fopping between them.

What do you all suggest?
Talk about it with your fellow players and DM. See what they think may fit better or lead to more interesting situations and outcomes.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd probably say warlock. It helps with sorcerer to really know the spell lists so you can pick what's good, since that's your real contribution. Warlock is harder to mess up at low levels, since a lot of your contributions will be at-will, not spell slot dependent.

If it's your first group, I might go VHuman just to grab a more team-oriented feat like Healer or Inspiring Leader, just to show you're willing to work with the party and aren't strictly powergaming.

Volund

Explorer
Just pick one and enjoy your first D&D game! Ask your DM if you can change your character after you start if you really aren't having fun with it. IME most DM's are flexible about that in the first few levels, especially with new players.

DarkMoon250

Explorer
Perhaps it would be helpful to know what kinds of things you would like your character to be good at? And also what level the character is starting at?
We'll be starting at level 3. My preferred role would be something in between damage and support, capable of strategies that inhibit or even sabotage enemies. Essentially, I want to fight dirty... with lots of magic. Of course, I'm not aware of how best to strategize in DnD, though.

I'm also having trouble deciding which of the RP styles and themes of the classes I prefer more. The Sorcerer is really neat and mystical-feeling with its inherent magical nature, and the idea that there's something strange and powerful altering your bloodline is pretty cool. On the other hand, the occult nature of the Warlock is also pretty intriguing, and the presence of your Patron leads to a very unique style of RP.

jgsugden

Legend
Normally, I'd just say to go with your gut. Either can be effective and fun.

If this is a new group, I might alter from that and suggest the sorcerer if the DM is a new DM. We tend to not want to repeat character classes for our PCs that often. We want to try something new. As such, you might want to save the warlock for an experienced DM that can really dig in and give you some fun storytelling about/with your patron. This can be hard for a new DM to do as well as an experienced DM, and the unique relationship between a Warlock and his patron is a great storytelling opportunity.

Oofta

Legend
Either flip a coin or ask the group. Personally I'd ask the group. There are far too many variables to give you a straight up answer.

For me, it's more a question of do I want to have my gifts because of some innate talent or because I made a deal with the (possibly literal) devil.

Mechanically? They're both fine and it's going to depend more on the options you take and how the group runs things than the class.

Remove ads