D&D 5E Sorcerer vs Warlock

InspetorG

Villager
By that logic, wouldnt Warlocks have access to all spells Arcane and Divine?

What stops Orcus from having an army of endless lvl1 mooks who can cast Wish at will unlimited times per day?

I like Warlocks, but i think one of the most neglected aspects of the class is the general disregard for the thematic costs of selling a soul to an Evil entity. Mechanically, the Theme can be discarded with little effect.

But if a Wizard loses his Spellbook and didnt invest in a copy, the mechanics enforce a thematic penalty.

Same for Wild Sorcerers who 'press their luck' a bit too much.

InspetorG

Villager
Classes are one of the "sacred cows / fatal flaws" of D&D, in my opinion. I prefer a game system that doesn't rely upon classes, but ultimately removing classes would mean you aren't really playing D&D any more.

Yeah, the 'Class system' is pretty iconic for D&D.

Nevvur

Explorer
I like Warlocks, but i think one of the most neglected aspects of the class is the general disregard for the thematic costs of selling a soul to an Evil entity. Mechanically, the Theme can be discarded with little effect.

Slightly related to this is what to do when the warlock acts against the interests of the patron. The patron doesn't even need to be evil, I just feel like the standard lore could stand to include some guidance on what happens when the relationship between a caster and the source of his magic goes sour. Same goes for clerics.

Lehrbuch

First Post
And considering mechanics VS fluff: Why is it that the person who makes a deal with the devil, has better on-tap magical powers than the person who is literally made out of magic?

That's exactly what the devil wants you to believe. You can't be tempted, unless the deal is tempting.

gyor

Legend
They eat into eachother's design spaces to begin with.

And considering mechanics VS fluff: Why is it that the person who makes a deal with the devil, has better on-tap magical powers than the person who is literally made out of magic?

The Sorceror relies on his own power, the Warlock constantly borrows it from a near endless supply.

The like a magical athelete of great innate talent the Sorceror can only rely on either own energy, but they can use it freely.

The Warlock on the other hand replies on someone else's strength, and can only use what they dole out, but that some has access to a nearly endless supply.

Another metaphor the Sorceror is a gas generator, who source of power is contained within and is way more powerful till the gas runs out, but the Warlock is a Solar Panel, its generates less power, but it keeps getting a constant supply of power over time from its patron the Sun.

Yaarel

He Mage
I am comfortable with using the Wizard class to represent an innately magical being. The cantrips are an effective mechanic to demonstrate magical manifestations. The rest of the spells are self mastery and study, similar to a gifted athlete studying a martial art.

Sadras

Legend
I am comfortable with using the Wizard class to represent an innately magical being. The cantrips are an effective mechanic to demonstrate magical manifestations. The rest of the spells are self mastery and study, similar to a gifted athlete studying a martial art.

There is certainly design space for that (along with metamagic feats) :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
So like OD&D?

Fighter, Thief, Wizard, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Cleric are all the classes?
I was half expecting the 'basic' version of the game to be like that, with race & class (& background, I suppose) broken out into separate choices in the PH.

Classes are one of the "sacred cows / fatal flaws" of D&D, in my opinion. I prefer a game system that doesn't rely upon classes, but ultimately removing classes would mean you aren't really playing D&D any more.

Somehow, D&D fell into the trap of being defined by and loved for it's flaws, rather than in spite of them.

Remove ads