• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sorcerer Wild Magic Surge

basilforth

Explorer
New to the forums. New to 5th Edition....

Searched for a related topic, but I don't think I quite have the hang on the search feature in the forum. So, apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere...

I recently created a Sorcerer character. Was considering the Wild Magic option. Then I started reading the Wild Magic Surge table on pp. 104 of the 5thEd Phb.

What? I know that the effects are triggered only on a roll of a 1. But many of the effect seem useless. EVen the spell effects will probably have nothing to do with the combat being conducted at the time. Grease. See invisibility? I get that it is random. But I can see much of the time, the reaction is: Meh! What do I do with this.....

Any better table of effects?

I am considering a house rule that says a Wild Magic Surge makes any recently cast spell react oddly or makes a magic item react oddly or make a prepared spell act oddly.

Make it relavant to the session rather than have the player turn into a potted plant.

Curious what other players / DM have done.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The wild magic surge table is mostly a fluff thing, not a power thing. It's meant to be weird and unpredictable (hence, wild) and mostly not very useful or very destructive. You can feel free to come up with alternate charts, but I don't know why you'd really bother. "The spell you just cast reacts oddly and turns you into a potted plant" is a fine result for my money!

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The major power of the Wild Magic Sorcerer is being able to get advantage on anything they want. This includes charisma deception checks, initiative checks, and even saving throws.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I love the potted plant result and had a BBEG turn into one when he invoked wild magic. The PCs then picked him up and threw him into a dimensional well. It was priceless.

The major power of the Wild Magic Sorcerer is being able to get advantage on anything they want. This includes charisma deception checks, initiative checks, and even saving throws.

I love the potted plant result and had a BBEG turn into one when he invoked wild magic. The PCs then picked him up and threw him into a dimensional well. It was priceless.

Opinions vary widely on Wild Magic. Some folks look at the above and shout Sign Me Up! while I just cringe and mutter Not in my friggin campaign....

It's that accidental Fireball result that kills it for me. Really? You actually want to play a character who's a TPK waiting to happen just because he can't control his magical mojo? Who in their right mind would go on an adventure anywhere near this guy? How many XP is he worth - he's gonna explode! Kill him and take his stuff!

FowlJ

Explorer
As I'm A Banana said, the wild magic isn't generally meant to have that great of an impact, but if you are looking for an alternate table, I like a lot of what this generator spits out: http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/random/#type=wild_surge;level=1

Like the PHB table, these are generally cosmetic, but there are some interesting effects and most of them are a bit more... subdued than suddenly turning into a potted plant.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I like the table i just wish it happened more for a campaign i did with a wild sorc i made them activate on a 1-5 not sure how it worked out it was just to plug a session and will be picked up later but hell i want those surges to happen more often if i played a wild sorcerer i would be like can i get this :):):):) every cast even on cantrips come on dude be a bro there mostly just fluffy effects come on dude remember the time i was the worlds best wingman for you or the time i fixed your car COME ON DUDE!!!!!!!

CapnZapp

Legend
New to the forums. New to 5th Edition....

What? I know that the effects are triggered only on a roll of a 1. But many of the effect seem useless. EVen the spell effects will probably have nothing to do with the combat being conducted at the time. Grease. See invisibility? I get that it is random. But I can see much of the time, the reaction is: Meh! What do I do with this.....

First off, welcome to the forums! :)

Then, to truly understand the Wild Mage, let me offer an alternate view of what makes the subclass tick, and you can think about whether it is for you or not, okay?

Let's say the power of the Wild Mage isn't the surges at all, despite how the class is presented.

And moreover, let's also say that in order for the Wild Mage to be able to compete with the Draconic subclass (and all the other classes for that matter), you need to have a Wild Surge after each and every spell you cast.

This gives you a whole other picture of the Wild Mage than what the text manages to convey, doesn't it?

And that is the main issue with the Wild Mage. Unlike most classes and subclasses, the PHB description mostly confuses a reader about how to use the subclass and what features it's supposed to be using.

It makes you think it's a mostly ordinary Sorcerer but one that - once in a while, with the DMs blessing - rolls on the Wild Surge table; slowly getting better at controlling its chaotic effect.

But that makes for a very poor deal, compared to all the goodies the Draconic Sorcerer gets.

In reality, to compete with all those goodies, the Wild Mage needs to get advantage on nearly everything he does. And that's the true power of the subclass. The surges are just a distraction.

---

So, for me to consider playing a Wild Mage, I first would talk to my DM to see if she's onboard with the following picture:

My Wild Mage character getting an automatic Wild Surge after every non-cantrip spell I cast. That's dozens of Surges every day.

If I sense my DM isn't comfortable with that, I would rather play a Draconic Sorcerer or perhaps something else entirely.

All this focus on getting surges when you roll 1, and having surges when the DM feel like it: cut that crap. If the subclass isn't used to its full potential, then it is the PHB's weakest subclass. The class itself, that is Sorcerer, is still as good as always, but you're supposed to get a little extra something from your subclass too, and in this case, you would be much better served by choosing Draconic.

---

Then, to put all the cards on the table, I must confess I would still not play a Wild Mage as it appears in the PHB. Not that I dislike it. Quite the contrary - I like it, but I won't cripple myself by playing one until there is more class support for it. Let me explain:

The Sorcerer is in my opinion probably the game's least well developed class. In my opinion metamagics is a poor choice for class exclusivity. It lacks flavor. And it would have been useful to all spellcasters. Once the Sorcerer was justified by mechanics alone (in the d20 era of 3rd edition), but I believe it was a mistake to port this thinking to 5E. The class was missing from the playtest and it shows. The devs probably didn't have time to redefine the class as something truly evocative. Just look at the wonderfully imaginative Witchhunter class Vin Diesel is playing and you see the missed opportunity I'm talking about.

(Don't get me wrong: the Sorcerer is still a full spellcaster with access to level 9 spells. So it's never weak. But the feeling is of restrictions and confinement. The Sorcerer class is defined by its limitations, and that's never fun.)

To aggravate this, the Wild Mage subclass is, again IMO the second worst developed subclass in the game (way ahead of the atrocious Beastmaster Ranger subclass, but still). How? You're onto it yourself - there's nothing connecting the Wild Surges to your character. Also, there are simply not enough ranged spell attack spells in the game that the Wild Mage can use. In fact there are no such spells on the crucial meat-n-potato spell levels 3, 4 or 5! That's no fun! Finally, I feel it's a missed opportunity to not have even one "wild" spell, that is a spell normally too wild (great benefits balanced against even greater risk) to use, but which a Wild Mage could control through his subclass abilities.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend

I am considering a house rule that says a Wild Magic Surge makes any recently cast spell react oddly or makes a magic item react oddly or make a prepared spell act oddly.

Make it relavant to the session rather than have the player turn into a potted plant.

I haven't had a Wild Mage in play yet. I think the wording of the surges mechanics allows for the DM to control really how often the weird effects take place. It reads quite discretionary to me.

Anyway I love the table of random effects, but clearly it is just an example! You are totally free to make up your own, because potentially you could have an infinite number of possible effects.

If you want to make it relevant to the session, you could flat out decide what happens, but IMO part of the fun is that also the DM doesn't know what's going to happen :)

How about instead retro-fitting the reality so that the random effect becomes relevant? I understand that this is breaking the fourth wall somehow, so many would reject the idea. But if you don't mind the metagaming nature of it, you could use it. For example, player rolls "see invisibility" -> DM decides on the stop that there was something invisible to actually see (just make something up!).

Some of my players in such case would not have forgotten to fertilize the BBEG plant first.

Neyd

First Post

Well as an easy ad hoc fix you could substitute the effects you do not like with some of the Wand of Wonder (DMG p. 212-213) effects.

Remove ads