• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerers and spell components. What were they thinking!

Synicism

First Post
In Monte Cook's Book of Eldritch Might, his variation of the Sorcerer doesn't make use of any material components (cheap ones are ignored, expensive ones cost XP) but all his spells have verbal and somatic components. I think it balances out and generally use his version of the Sorcerer. Frankly, in 3.5, I think the Sorcerer is the Ranger of 3.0 - just sort of lame.

der_kluge

Adventurer
IMC, all sorcerers start with Eschew material components for free. The limit I set is 25gp.

Eschew Materials
Benefit: You can cast any spell that has a material component costing 1 gp or less without needing that component. (The casting of the spell still provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.) If the spell requires a material component that costs more than 1 gp, you must have the material component at hand to cast the spell, just as normal.

In our last campaign, my sorcerer had gotten imprisoned, and she tried to use suggestion, which has a component. The DM said I had none. I was quite angry, mostly because we hadn't discussed it before-hand. Which is why I try to make things very clear so that the players aren't surprised when the DM screws them over. I was quite upset that he had rendered my characters helpless. If I had known he was going to require me to use components, I would have gladly purchased eschew materials.

Last edited:

Remove ads