Sorceror Feat?

James McMurray

First Post
I've got a sorceror that's about to hit 15th level. He'll be picking up a level of Paladin, but mainly for the divine grace and lay on hands, as he's kind of an older guy with a 6 strength.

My question is, what feat should I get for him? He's got a whopping 30 Charisma, and the following spells:

0- who cares? They never get used except for read magic and detect magic, and prestidigitation to clean his clothes. :)

1- Magic Missile, Charm Person, Glue (R&R, reverse of grease), Shield, Mage Armor, Hypnotism

2- Blazing Shield (R&R, +6 AC, +7 vs. Missiles), Cat's Grace, Invisibility, See Invisible, Tasha's Hideous Laughter

3- Fly, Displacement, Suggestion, Lightning Bolt

4- Confusion, Sacrifice Spell (R&R, drop spell slots for 1d8 per spell level bolt), Scrying, Greater Magical Flow Enhancement (BOEM I, +2 to save DCs),

5- Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum (T&B, anti-scrying), Teleport, Wall of Force

6- Greater Dispelling, Permanent Illusion

7- Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion

As far as damage dealing spells go, with a maximized Sacrifice Spell, he's doing 112, reflex save for half, or he can maximize a lightning Bolt, so damage dealing spells aren't realy a priority to him right now.

He already has the following feats:

Still Spell
Maximize Spell
Spell focus and Greater Spell Focus Enchantment
Spell Penetration

so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Zhure

First Post
Arcane Preparation. With lots of metamagic feats, this will allow you to have one or two prepared in advance to avoid the full-round penalty Sorcerers face. Especially Still, if you take advantage of the Paladin's armor proficiencies.

Eschew Material Components. I love this for Sorcs... just as a flavor feat.

Extend is always useful.

Energy Substitution is made for Sorcerers. Effectively gives them access to more spells.

Extra Spell is good, too. At your level, it will give you one more spell known of 7th level.
Greg

Orco42

First Post
I like your spell list!

All of my players that are battles wizard munchkins.

I really like the item creation feats. You could help the other party memebers (and your self) while making money.

prophet

First Post
Spell Shaping

Take that third level bolt and put it into 5ft square shapes hitting all the baddies and none of your party members.

Not damage, per say, but flexibility....

--->prophet<----

James McMurray

First Post
Zhure:
Arcane preparation is nice, but I doubt i'll be wearing much armor. with Blazing Shield and mage Armor I get a +10 AC (+11 vs. missiles) and with a six strength its doubtful I'll be wearing much armor. :)

Eschew components is nice, but only really good for flavor. When you're going through the tomb of horrors and trying to take out a school of necromancers, flavor is best done through roleplaying. ;)
energy substitution is really only good for Lightning Bolt, so I don't know if its worth it. Also, he used to have a rod of acid substitution (lesser) and he's still hoping to get it back from the chick that stole it some day.

I was thinking about extra spell and extend spell. Heck, I was even thinking about extra spell just for athird level spell so I can pick up haste. I used to have boots of speed, but they went the way of the rod. . .

Orco42:
what cretaion feat would you suggest with that spell list? the problem with sorcerors is they don't get a lot of spells to make nice items with.

Berandor: Heighten is one I hadn't thought about, but need to. Of course, he's already got 20 + spell level for his DCs (24 with enchantment, and 22 or 26 with Greater Magical Flow enhancement). Would heighten be going overboard?

Prophet:
Where is spell shaping from? Or do you mean Sculpt Spell from T&B?

Thanks all, keep those suggestions coming! :) Help me ruin the DMs day! Oh wait, I'm also the DM. . . ;)

Dougal DeKree

First Post
paladin-feats...

perhaps you should have a look at the feats in defenders of the faith...most are based on CHA, so your char should be pretty good with them...

Dougal DeKree
"Hope shall be the blade that severs our bonds"

Jens

First Post
Interesting...

First your question: What feat? Chain spell would work on Charm Person, Glue(?), Mage Armor, Hypotism, Tasha's, Fly, Suggestion, an sometimes Greater Dispelling (give or take a few) Oddly, it doesn't work with Lightning Bolt, but it's still good. An if only it worked with Touch-range spells... But still a good choice. Depending on the wording of Sacrifice Spell, this may be a no-brainer.

The my question: How does your sorcerer function? I'd say that quite a few of your spells are somewhat unusual (say, Mordenkainen's) while others seem to be missing (Haste as you mention). So, how do you perform?

I'm asking because I'm considering a paladin/sorcerer (PrCs: Divine Oracle, Arcane Devotee, Sacred Exorcist, Archmage) and find your spell list interesting. You'll be taking the Archmage PrC, right? I'd say it fits into any world/campaign and it's just *better* than the high sorecrer levels.

Remove ads