• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerous Blade Channeling and basic melee attacks

Thundershield

First Post
There's something else to consider. Reaper's Touch is one of the Dragon Magazine feats, which are frequently ill conceived and are never subject to errata. Sorcerous Blade Channelling is from PHB2, which may see future corrections. Many people will refrain from permitting Dragon materials in their campaign because of the poorly written nature, but the main book materials are rarely censored.
While this is true (to some extend) it's much less so now that Wizards are in charge of the magazine themselves. And often the magazines are checked for errata over the course of the month they're published. An example would be the Twofold Pact feat from one of the early Dragon magazines. It originally required you to be tiefling, but this was later removed when the compiled magazine was available.

I do hope the "core only" trend is in regression. While it is true that there will inevitably be "broken combos" with all the material being published, people miss out on much more than if all material is allowed, but under the DM's discretion.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
While this is true (to some extend) it's much less so now that Wizards are in charge of the magazine themselves. And often the magazines are checked for errata over the course of the month they're published. An example would be the Twofold Pact feat from one of the early Dragon magazines. It originally required you to be tiefling, but this was later removed when the compiled magazine was available.

I do hope the "core only" trend is in regression. While it is true that there will inevitably be "broken combos" with all the material being published, people miss out on much more than if all material is allowed, but under the DM's discretion.

I have to say that the Mag material seems very balanced these days... though there are some backgrounds for instance... in the character builder that seem a little too sweet from that source.. they actually make me want to boost other backgrounds .... rather than nerf them or exclude them though.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I'd allow it.

It's not that powerful, considering you spent a feat for it. For all intents and purposes (except the one under debate here) the feat could say, "When wielding a dagger, using a ranged sorcerer power against a target within your melee reach does not provoke an opportunity attack."

Sorcerers aren't known for their great AC or HP, and because so many of their powers are close blasts/bursts, they tend to be on the front lines and get clobbered. A lot. So giving them the ability to use some ranged powers from that position seems like a reasonable and balanced feat, and extending it to MBAs (for charging, OAs, and warlord benefits) doesn't seem imbalanced either.

-- 77IM

DracoSuave

First Post
If it allows you to use your sorcerous at-wills as opportunity attacks, that makes it better than Heavy Blade Opportunity, a paragon tier feat.

Something you might want to think about before you say 'It costs a feat so should be good.' 1d10+8 (or more) OAs are nothing to sneeze at when you're level -1-.

Also, Sorcerers aren't bad at the AC department. They have a secondary that bumps AC, that also happens to improve their damage so maxing is actually worthwhile. As well, most Spell Sources give AC bonuses in one regard or another. They aren't exactly easy to just beat on ftw.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
agreed Draco, its already pretty nice... without allowing the extra of opportunity attacks
Sorcerors dont have to be sucky on armor by a long shot. Designed for melee using RT or this one and leather armor (thats 2 feats) we are looking at a pretty nice melee striker who can also do ranged aka isnt that what a ranger does?

Trevelyan

First Post
If it allows you to use your sorcerous at-wills as opportunity attacks, that makes it better than Heavy Blade Opportunity, a paragon tier feat.
You're overlooking the fact that it potentially only allows Acid Orb or Dragon Frost to be used to make OAs, and the Reaper's Touch feat explicitely allows Acid Orb and Dragon Frost to make OAs, together with Avenging Light, Eldritch Blast and Magic Missile.

Personally I'd go with the WotC ruling and accept that this is a case where the specific sorcerer feat is a better choice than the generic arcane feat. There is nothing dangerous about allowing sorcerers to make effective OAs.

Remove ads