Sorlock Eldritch Blast vs. Draconic Sorcerer Firebolt

redCartel

First Post
That feat is only rerolling 1s. It's very weak. 1/6th of the time it gives an average of a +2.5 damage. It's less than .5 damage per die rolled. It's a :):):):) feat.

Gavin O.

First Post
That feat is only rerolling 1s. It's very weak. 1/6th of the time it gives an average of a +2.5 damage. It's less than .5 damage per die rolled. It's a :):):):) feat.

I disagree, actually, but only if you have an odd Charisma. It's enough of a damage boost that I would run it on every Tiefling sorcerer and I would start with 17 Charisma to use this feat. It adds an average of 3 damage to your fireball at level 5, to each target you hit. That's a decent increase considering elemental affinity is only +4 at this level.

redCartel

First Post
It's not *totally* worthless as a +1 feat, but you're still probably better off trying to get 13 or 15 in one of your secondary scores to boost at the same time as your 17 if you're trying to be optimal. 3 damage per fireball target (which is the very highest utility of this, pretty much every other case where it matters, it matters less) isn't as significant as +1 to your Dex, Con, or Wisdom modifier.

You're best off going with stats like:

17 Cha
15 Dex
14 Con
10 Wis
9 (barf) Int

and getting to 18 Cha / 16 Dex at level 4 rather than taking a non-impactful +1 Cha feat.

In general I don't like Tiefling for Sorcerers. That +1 Int is a big waste, racial bonuses should only be applied to stats that are 13 or higher at point-buy. If you want a Sorcerer with a dark background & some good racial spells, go with a Half-Drow.

Last edited:

Gavin O.

First Post
It's not *totally* worthless as a +1 feat, but you're still probably better off trying to get 13 or 15 in one of your secondary scores to boost at the same time as your 17 if you're trying to be optimal. 3 damage per fireball target (which is the very highest utility of this, pretty much every other case where it matters, it matters less) isn't as significant as +1 to your Dex, Con, or Wisdom modifier.

You're best off going with stats like:

17 Cha
15 Dex
14 Con
10 Wis
9 (barf) Int

and getting to 18 Cha / 16 Dex at level 4 rather than taking a non-impactful +1 Cha feat.

In general I don't like Tiefling for Sorcerers. That +1 Int is a big waste, racial bonuses should only be applied to stats that are 13 or higher at point-buy. If you want a Sorcerer with a dark background & some good racial spells, go with a Half-Drow.

Tieflings are the only +Cha race that can start with wings at level 1. That benefit alone I think is enough to make them a strong contender, at least for the bloodlines that don't grant flight. Trivialize melee encounters and attack from a distance.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
It's not a good assumption to have both hex and quicken EB each round. Unless your fighting a single creature all the time, AND always surprise them, you will be well out of bonus actions.

Also, darkness + devils sight + half-elf + elven accuracy. Not only does It do more damage than hex, you only need 1 action for the battle and it's easier to cast before battle.

Mostly_Ponies

First Post
Eldritch blast is overrated. Firebolt does the same 1d10 damage. Force damage being superior is a situational advantage. You shouldn't be basing your build on the chance that you run into a creature immune to fire *and* you're by yourself *and* have no other attacks. And the bonuses from Hex and so on look good on paper, but are unreliable since they go away if you get hit. Sorlock is only good for the armor skill, HP bonus, and invocations, otherwise, go full sorcerer or pick another multiclass.

Remove ads