Space 1889

Matchstick

Adventurer
I'm finding myself leaning toward doing a Steampunk Savage Worlds game and I've seen some mention of Space 1889 from Pinnacle. However looking at their site it doesn't seem like that product's page has been updated for a while.

What is the status of the SW version of Space 1889? Was (is) it just one book or module? Would it work well for a Steampunk game? Any comments on the setting would be appreciated; other than playing in a Rel Sky Galleons game at GenCon 06 (still have my character sheet!) I've no familiarity with Space 1889.

Thanks!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know the Savage Worlds version of the game, but I do have the original.

About the setting - it would work well for your steampunk, depending on what you want from your steampunk. The original Space: 1889 is not about the technology. It is rather more about social dynamics, adventure, and strange exotic worlds. It is more about being John Carter of Mars or exploring the swamps of Venus than about tinkering with gadgetry.

In many ways, it is more useful for "gaslight romance" than steampunk, as it isn't very punk - there's no looming dystopia that usually characterizes "punk" genres.

Inferno!

Explorer
Last I heard, the plan was to release the Savage Worlds edition GenCon this year. It should hit the streets a month or so later. I believe it will just be the one book with possibly a few free download from the Pinnacle website.

I happened to meet the author at GenCon last year (his name escapes me at the moment) as we waited for a Weird War II game to start. We chatted about what we liked and disliked about the original 1889, and seemed to be on the same page for most of it. I am seriously looking foward to this. It is THE ONE game purchase I MUST make at GenCon this year.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I don't know the Savage Worlds version of the game, but I do have the original.

About the setting - it would work well for your steampunk, depending on what you want from your steampunk. The original Space: 1889 is not about the technology. It is rather more about social dynamics, adventure, and strange exotic worlds. It is more about being John Carter of Mars or exploring the swamps of Venus than about tinkering with gadgetry.

In many ways, it is more useful for "gaslight romance" than steampunk, as it isn't very punk - there's no looming dystopia that usually characterizes "punk" genres.

Hmmm. I don't know that I'm looking for something where the characters travel around to different planets, I'm more looking for Victorian technology. Blimps, not spaceships.

Maybe I'll look into Runepunk. Since I'm going to GenCon I should be able to check out Space 1889 there more closely.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Space: 1889, like RIFTS, is one of those games that has a rep for having a wonderfully creative setting and mechanics that almost nobody likes.

I took the setting and ran a Supers campaign in HERO system with it- one of the best experiences I've ever had as a GM.

And, of course, you don't have to use the Mars/Venus/Moon portions of the game- there is plenty enough to mess with on Earth.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
It is THE ONE game purchase I MUST make at GenCon this year.

This.

I love this setting and have since WAY back when I was in high school. Never did get a group to play it under the original rules. Then, several years ago, I decided that it would be a fun setting to use for one shot games. So I converted it to d20 Modern.

That worked reasonably well and we had a lot of fun with it as I ran about 8 or 9 episodes over the course of a few years at the NC Game Days and GenCon. But I think that Savage Worlds is a much better rules fit for the pulpy games of high adventure that I want to run with it.

I'm bringing an all new adventure to run with it at GenCon and I'm super excited about getting my hands on that book.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Matchstick, are you going to be at GenCon? Cuz I'm running Savage Worlds Space 1889 there if you'd like to try it out.

Hmmm. I don't know that I'm looking for something where the characters travel around to different planets, I'm more looking for Victorian technology. Blimps, not spaceships.
I thought that was pretty implicit in a game titled Space: 1889. Especially with the Space featuring so prominantly in the title. And the 1889, too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases