• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"SPACE FIGHT!" Starship combat boardgame

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And here are the preliminary concept trials for the Hero Cards. These are just concept trials, though - colours etc. may change. Plus faction availability symbols will appear on there somewhere at some point.

Couple of variations here.

Attachments

• cards1.jpg
    cards1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 55
  • cards2.jpg
    cards2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 51
  • cards3.jpg
    cards3.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've redesigned the SPACE FIGHT! web page.

Also, the Hero art is now also on counters which can be placed on top of the ship counter currently carrying that Hero.

Attachments

• hero_counters.jpg
    hero_counters.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
New art just in from Claudio Pozas.

Coming soon - two more art pieces, plus faction logos/emblems.

42096d1259192544-space-fight-starship-combat-boardgame-trench_run.jpg

Attachments

• trench_run.jpg
    trench_run.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 91

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Document updated again with a starting scenario. To add to that: a starscape diagram of starting positions and a tactics section.

So, updates coming next will be:

1) 2 x new art pieces
2) New faction logos
3) Diagram and tactics section on the starting scenario

And here are the preliminary concept trials for the Hero Cards. These are just concept trials, though - colours etc. may change. Plus faction availability symbols will appear on there somewhere at some point.

Couple of variations here.
I think the colors will require more work indeed. I have no real idea how it should look in the end, but I think currently it's all a little to... colorful, and unfortunately combinations of colors. I think the same about the stat blocks for ships.

Otherwise though: Awesome work. ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think the colors will require more work indeed. I have no real idea how it should look in the end, but I think currently it's all a little to... colorful, and unfortunately combinations of colors. I think the same about the stat blocks for ships.

I think things like colours are so far down the list of priorities that I couldn't even see them if I borrowed the Hubble Telescope! When it's done, a proper layout person will do it, not me and Open Office! :D

Any thoughts on some of the changes?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Fantastic Mr. Pozas has sent in the latest art piece!

42101d1259246726-space-fight-starship-combat-boardgame-enterprise_explodes.jpg

Attachments

• enterprise_explodes.jpg
    enterprise_explodes.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98

I think things like colours are so far down the list of priorities that I couldn't even see them if I borrowed the Hubble Telescope! When it's done, a proper layout person will do it, not me and Open Office! :D

Any thoughts on some of the changes?
Haven't had time to read them in detail yet.

Though a few things that a quick read-through didn't make clear to me or at least seemed inconsistent:
I believe one hero (spy?) has the ability to reveal heros. In another point you say heroes must be placed on the vehicle they are on. Did I read this correctly?

The heroes seem to have very differerent power levels, some granting always +4 bonuses, others just revealing information or having a limited chance to affect a ship once.

What are the cool uber-features of Shadows/Machines that they have so few heroes? Do you just expect them to have very powerful craft and Heroes exist to compensate for that?

I suposse a "Assimilate Hero" ability might be in order for the Borg-equivalent. (Destroying a squadron or ship with an hero aboard assimilates him?).
Should there be a Psion/Telepath hero? (The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father :) ).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Haven't had time to read them in detail yet.

Though a few things that a quick read-through didn't make clear to me or at least seemed inconsistent:
I believe one hero (spy?) has the ability to reveal heros. In another point you say heroes must be placed on the vehicle they are on. Did I read this correctly?

I don't think you're looking at the latest version. In the present iteration, the Spy can assasinate.

The heroes seem to have very differerent power levels, some granting always +4 bonuses, others just revealing information or having a limited chance to affect a ship once.

Oh yes. Not all Heroes are equal, just like not all ships are equal. Some of them are better to have than others. Although they've all been severly rewritten in the current version (they get their own initiative now and take actions just like a ship does). Plus they can level up.

What are the cool uber-features of Shadows/Machines that they have so few heroes? Do you just expect them to have very powerful craft and Heroes exist to compensate for that?

It's a flavour thing. These guys rely more on technology than individuals. The game's purpose is to reflect the factions it is representing; the Shadows or the Borg, for example, never had plucky pilots, bold captains, and the like.

Balancing out sides for fair battles is going to be a challenge, but it's one of the initial design concepts I am determined to retain - no arbitrary standardising balancing factor which takes away the exception-based flavour. It'll be fine for published scenarios, as the designer will be expected to design a balanced scenario, but at some point I am going to need to work out how to make it easy for players to do so, too.

I suposse a "Assimilate Hero" ability might be in order for the Borg-equivalent. (Destroying a squadron or ship with an hero aboard assimilates him?).

There's already one. At least, I think I put it in there under the Hive ship (its boarding parties can do that). Transfers the Hero to the Hive player's countrol.

Should there be a Psion/Telepath hero? (The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father :) ).

Absolutely (also think Deanna Troi). I have a half-dozen more Heroes in mind, although I intend to save them for an expansion. For example: Medical Marvel (a doctor who can restore a dead Hero back into play), Red Shirt (can take the place of another Hero's demise), etc.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads