Space RPG with realistic in-system travel rules

Problem is that to have realistic space flight you need to track the positions of every planet so that you can accurately plot a course and thats simply not worth it.

Actually, they make software for that.

Very much worth it. I've used an earlier version extensively.

Actually, looking at the new system, which I wasn't aware of, I realize that it will do the calculations for realistic in-system travel. All I need to do is work up a modifier based on operator skill, and I'm done.

Last edited:

Have you looked at the Expanse RPG? I thought that it was a good balance: a bit of hard sci fi, but workable mechanics. For more technically minded groups you can dig harder into the science, but you can hand wave some of the space travel rules if that is not your jam without breaking the game.

I played the game with engineers in the group, but I'm the type of GM that is happy to have players do some of the rules heavy lifting. I was less intimidated about the space-travel mechanics in The Expanse RPG than the lore.

I like The Expanse RPG as a game system, but I prefer systems that don't have a lot of lore from wildly popular books, TV shows, and movies.

Also, I personally find more hard-science or reality-bound RPGs less satisfying than fantasy. Space fantasy is more fun for me to play than more reality-grounded systems.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed. I like the early seasons, and the Cold War rip-off of politics.

I loathe space fantasy.

aramis erak

Legend
Various Traveller editions have timing for leaving a gravity wells based on thrust of the ship.
Traveller assumes constant thrust drives without significant reaction mass. Except in Traveller: The New Era. That one is still unrealistically high delta-V but it's at least using the rocket equation and limited thrust... albeit ships often having 5-20 G-hours of fuel.

Albedo has somewhat better SF justification; the ship rules are excellent, and finally they're available on DTRPG. You don't really need the corebook to use the ship sourcebook.

Remove ads