Spartacus - Blood & Sand

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
If it did not have the nudity and sex in it, I don't think I would have watched it. :(

Acting: You have some good performances but overall nothing special (yet).

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Mark, as you well know, any show that starts anew, either hit on the nail, or they wobble in, at the start.

Given time, this show will find it's footing, or it will trip on it's own feet.

But if the production team is smart, listening to the fans, will help a lot.

For me, it was like watching '300', but a smaller verison on the telly.:cool:

I am trying to find a way to disagree with you without being rude about it, while still getting across just how much I disagree with you.

I am failing at that task. So, I guess I just can say that I thought the most of the acting (except for Lawless and Hannah) was extraordinarily poor. As it well below most soap opera acting. Some of it is truly horrid, particularly with some of the bit parts, and sometimes sounds like the actors are literally reading their lines.

The difference between this and, say, the acting in the "Rome" series, is so stark that I am at a complete failure to comprehend how I saw the same show as someone who says the acting was "good" overall.

Gog

First Post
I saw banner ads for it on one of these websites, but didn't click it was going to be showing on cable. I suspose I'll try to catch it, except you said it was on Starz? Since when did they try to show new stuff? Must be another reason it didn't catch my attention. :p

It also shows up for online streaming on Netflix the next day. Much like Legand of the Seeker

zen_hydra

First Post
I did't hate it. It has the potential to be a fun show. I actually like the stylized look they are shooting for. The blood effects reminds me a bit of what was done in the 2003 Zatoichi film (starring Takeshi Kitano). Some acting was poor, but a couple of the actors gave respectable performances. While I was hoping to see something of Rome's quality (which is perhaps my favorite show ever), I am willing to accept Spartacus for what it is and give it a shot to find its legs.

Wycen

Explorer
Ohhhhh. It is supposed to be a series. Yeah, did not tumble that part either.

Didn't seem very bloody to me, but I only saw the last 10 minutes or so of what I guess was the second episode. I wasn't paying much attention, I was googling Wang Mang and cannibalism. :eek:

Steel_Wind

Legend
I thought the second episode was better. I'm willing to watch this one a while and see where it goes.

I liked the fact that Spartcus, while he had his moments of nastiness, is not cpaable of taking on the skilled gladiators..yet.

No "meanest bad-ass of them all from the first moment" thing going on here. Not bad at all.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Okay - enough of this geek love for iffy shows that are receving iffy episode-by-episode braying, whilst Spartacus: Blood and Sand is left with only one thread.

This show is turning out to be VERY cool and damned decent. If you judged it only by the 300 style over-the-topness of the pilot, you judged too quickly.

With episode 3 and 4 now in, I am now an unabashed fan of Spartacus: Blood and Sand; moreover, I believe most gamers would be too, if they give this one a good long look.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

It's a pure, bloody, guy series. Nudity, violence, and a real simple plot. It might draw in a female audience with all the muscular guys and the soap opera type plot. It's more of an action series than any attempt at pseudorealism or history. And as an action series, it's a cut above. Fun to watch.

Krug

Newshound
First episode didn't overly impress me but I'll keep watching. The special effects kept on kicking me out of the show though. It was hard to take it seriously after all the blood splatter. It's just overdone.

Remove ads