• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speak as an immediate action?

anest1s

First Post
Cast a spell with verbal components that has an immediate action as casting time, and use the skill trick (there is one like that I think) that allows you to cast a spell and mask the verbal components as talking? :p

irdeggman

First Post
Unnecessary.

Speak is a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn.

Speak
In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn’t your turn. Speaking more than few sentences is generally beyond the limit of a free action.

That makes it better than an immediate action (which you can only do 1 of per turn and can't do flat-footed).

Sekhmet

First Post
The concern is that one of my players wants to Contingency Teleport to him saying "Oh my."
Were speaking an immediate action, he could use it in reaction to things he didn't notice before they occurred, such as a Rogue Sneak Attacking or a Rock landing on his head.
He can't really do that with a Free Action.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The concern is that one of my players wants to Contingency Teleport to him saying "Oh my."
Were speaking an immediate action, he could use it in reaction to things he didn't notice before they occurred, such as a Rogue Sneak Attacking or a Rock landing on his head.
He can't really do that with a Free Action.
Oh... I would so approve of this as a DM, and then watch that player like a hawk, triggering the Teleport just as soon as he said those words, because I'm betting he'd use the phrase without even thinking about it.

But yes, Contingency spells go off with the trigger, and if the trigger is speaking, you can use it as @irdeggman has stated.

EDIT: are you using the Contingency spell, The Craft Contingent Spell feat, a Glyph of Warding, or some other method?

Last edited:

Sekhmet

First Post
He hasn't ever used the phrase, that I'm aware of, in casual conversation.
Free Actions can't be used interrupt an event, though. You'd get stabbed in the back and killed before you could trigger.
An immediate action would allow him to OH MY in time to save himself.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Not if the PC was caught by surprise. If he has no warning, he can't react to an event until it happens.

So let him do it, slip him the point of your argument, and then watch as the PC slowly bleeds out, far from anyone who could help him.

Or rule that he's using it as a Spell Trigger, which requires an action.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=6674868]RUMBLETiGER[/MENTION] Again, that would most likely result in his death anyway.
[MENTION=6669384]Greenfield[/MENTION] Doesn't an immediate action happen immediately prior to an event? For example, a Contingency - Stabbed in the Back would fire immediately before the stabbing took place, thereby ignoring the stab altogether?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads