Spears not having a range?

The Little Raven

First Post
No-- the post said that Javelins (aka throwing spears) can be thrown, but that regular spears (aka heavy spears) are only meant for fighting-- and by the laws of D&D physics they cannot be thrown. If you try to throw one, and have a jerk for a DM, it falls to the ground in your square...

He probably has me on his ignore list, so he won't know that he's completely wrong until someone either quotes my posts or reposts the same information.

Tellerve

Maybe you're just missing the (pretty bad) joke. What's her last name?

Yeah, pretty bad joke.

So, yeah, you can throw the spear as an improvised weapon, but then that isn't so great either. I guess I could use a javelin and then throw it if I wanted. Just thinking about 300 a bit here. Those were the good ol' spears of old, good at melee stabbin' but you could chuck 'em well if you needed.

Tellerve

The Little Raven

First Post
So, yeah, you can throw the spear as an improvised weapon, but then that isn't so great either.

Which is the point. A weapon balanced for melee combat will not be as effective as one balanced for throwing. Contrary to what Braveheart and 300 taught us, throwing a melee weapon isn't all that effective.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's funny. Under 3e, there were complaints that there was no dedicated-melee 'stabbing spear.' Now we have one. The javelin is a full-fledged spear, now, able to be used in melee to full effect and also thrown - it's more like the 3e shortspear, really.

Throwable spear = javelin. It's even in the spear group, so all your spear-related feats and exploits work with it.

It is sad that its a simple weapon, though. It'd be cool if there were a martial or superior one-handed spear, preferably two: one heavy thrown, one reach.

SweeneyTodd

First Post
If you try to throw one, and have a jerk for a DM, it falls to the ground in your square...

I don't think I'd be comfortable judging any system by those criteria, because with a jerk DM I can't picture even showing up. :)

Having a melee spear be throwable 3/6 would be perfectly reasonable and in no way unbalancing-- other than making people count to numbers that are not in increments of 5, I don't see the problem.

Seems perfectly reasonable. If you don't like the javelin rules being used for "spears balanced for throwing", that'd way of handling it would work fine.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Seems perfectly reasonable. If you don't like the javelin rules being used for "spears balanced for throwing", that'd way of handling it would work fine.

No-- javelins are spears BETTER balanced for throwing. Another thought would be that if a weapon "should" be throwable, but isn't and you don't want to use the craptastic improvised weapon rules suggestion, perhaps the weapon has a range of 0/5 so if you throw it at all, you have the -2 penalty. A spear that wasn't made to be thrown being able to chucked 25' w/ -2 to hit as a trade off seems pretty darn fair to me. Far better than -2 to hit and it only does d4 dmg.

kouk

First Post
How about just making up a Superior Weapon Proficiency for being able to throw a Spear like a Javelin? Or maybe just range 5/10.

Making up feats can solve almost everything :p

jdpacheco

First Post
Good thing, then, that you can throw a melee spear (as a Ranged Improvised Weapon). The range is 5/10, the damage is 1d4, and the proficiency bonus is n/a, because it's not balanced for throwing.

How about just making up a Superior Weapon Proficiency for being able to throw a Spear like a Javelin? Or maybe just range 5/10.

Making up feats can solve almost everything :p

I would actually treat it, as The Little Raven recommends, as an improvised weapon, but I would still have it do Spear damage... End result: You can throw it... you can even hit them with the damaging end... but you ain't never gonna be that good at it since it ain't designed that way, so no Proficiency Bonus.

Making up a superior weapon proficiency for it... seems kinda silly. The real intent of the Spear, in my opinion, in 4e, is more of an Eastern (yes, it existed in the West, but Martial Arts movies feature them heavily) type of spear, which would not be thrown, and is more like a quarterstaff with a sharp stabby bit at the end.

Remove ads