• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off giants and their kin

Filby

First Post
Um... wow. That's kinda silly.

It could have a racial bonus to Jump maybe, but even so, an obese giant jumping around (in a cave, even) is a weird idea.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Um... wow. That's kinda silly.

It could have a racial bonus to Jump maybe, but even so, an obese giant jumping around (in a cave, even) is a weird idea.

Agreed. I seem to recall the other giants in the article haveing similar listings. It may have been a standard for the stat blocks of giants at some point to include that information. We can probably disregard it.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
That reminds me! We should give them some cavey powers. Things like getting racial bonuses when underground, squeezing without penalties, etc.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That reminds me! We should give them some cavey powers. Things like getting racial bonuses when underground, squeezing without penalties, etc.

Excellent suggestions. For starters, we can repurpose your narrow berth ability.

Narrow Berth (Ex): Due to its narrow body, an anancus is treated as being one size smaller than it actually is for the purposes of squeezing (see page 149 of the Player’s Handbook for the rules for squeezing).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed. Something like this?

Caveborn (Su): Despite its tremondous bulk, a cave lord can supernaturally alter its dimensions to travel through its subterranean realm. It is treated as being one size smaller than it actually is for the purposes of squeezing (see page 149 of the Player’s Handbook for the rules for squeezing).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Caveborn looks good. If we still want to give them something, we could give them some ability never to get lost underground, but it's not necessary.

Filling in blanks: DR 10/S or P, claw +10, environment: any underground, organization: solitary or clan (1d4 plus 20-40 goblins?), 2000 lb, 100 yr?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I borrowed the tribe from the goblin organization line for consistency.

I left the attack modifiers off until we pick feats.

Skills: 18
Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot are common to goblinoid races
Intimidate and Bluff also make sense, based on the flavor text

Feats: 3
Alertness is common among goblinoid races

Challenge Rating: 5? (They are about equal to a troll)

Of course the cave lords are also rumored to hoard treasure, and this tempatation might prove too great for some.

Treasure: Double standard?

Remove ads