• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off giants and their kin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed w/DR and light sensitivity (though you could persuade me toward Con damage).

What about Str 23, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 9?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The wasting in sunlight is just a neat mechanic that's underused. I can gladly settle on light blindness, as per the drow.

Some thoughts on flavor. One: what's the relationship between cave lords and barghests? Both of them fill the "big, cannibal goblin-boss" dynamic. Second: now that kobolds aren't goblinoid anymore, we're going to have to make some minor alterations. Perhaps cave lords direct their goblinoid tribes to raid kobold warrens for delicious captives?

Shade

Monster Junkie
The wasting in sunlight is just a neat mechanic that's underused.

I agree, and for that reason, let's use it. :cool:

Some thoughts on flavor. One: what's the relationship between cave lords and barghests? Both of them fill the "big, cannibal goblin-boss" dynamic. Second: now that kobolds aren't goblinoid anymore, we're going to have to make some minor alterations. Perhaps cave lords direct their goblinoid tribes to raid kobold warrens for delicious captives?

I was wondering that myself. That sounds like a good idea, and the cave lords may eat goblins if enough kobolds are captured to sate their hunger. Talk about motivation! :devil:

freyar

Con damage it is, then!

Now, I like that flavor! Regarding barghests, perhaps there's a natural rivalry here?

freyar

Any other special abilities? I'm almost inclined to make something out of the chanting and burning herbs while eating kobolds, but that could just be flavor text instead.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like rend. I'm not sure what to do with the herb bits.

Goblins have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
Hobgoblins have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
Norkers have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.

So how about a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks? ;)

Filby

First Post
A cave lord is about the size of a hill or stone giant, so shouldn't its size be Large rather than Huge?

Also, they're described as "obscenely obese" but have a listed weight of 600-700 lbs.; a hill giant's average weight is about 1,100 lbs., so a cave lord should weigh a good deal more than that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads