• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off giants and their kin

Shade

Monster Junkie
13HD works. How are the abilities on the forest giant?

Abilities: Str 33, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 21
Special Attacks: Poisoned arrows, rock throwing
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., rock catching

Poison (Ex): Forest giants coat their arrows with poison (Fortitude save DC 22). The initial and secondary damage is the same (unconsciousness for 4d4 rounds).

Skills: A forest giant has a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. *In wooded areas, this bonus rises to +8.

An adult forest giant stands 18 feet tall but weighs only 3,000 pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, maybe a little more Str, a little less Con? Don't think these need a big Cha, either. Since these are wiry, I could see more Dex, too. Maybe Str 35, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 15?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good. Added to Homebrews.

Powerful, lanky, and strictly carnivorous, jungle giants are a terror to all the animals of the tropical forests. They are great hunters and stalkers, able to clear a huge tract of forest of all game and then move on.

Favored class: ranger?

Jungle giants always carry everything they need with them: tools for making and maintaining their weapons, firestarters, tinder, and spare bits of leather and sinew used to repair clothing. They also carry their valuables, and every adult jungle giant carries a quiver of arrows.

Sounds like good giant's bag contents.

Combat: Jungle giants use 15' long bows crafted to take advantage of their tremendous size and strength. These giants are very quick with their huge bows and can fire two arrows each round.

Rapid Shot as one of their feats?

They will use poisoned arrows to bring down their prey more quickly. if these arrows are used in combat, opponents must save vs. paralyzation at -2 or be rendered immobile for 2-12 turns.

Here's what forest giants have:

Poison (Ex): Forest giants coat their arrows with poison (Fortitude save DC 22). The initial and secondary damage is the same (unconsciousness for 4d4 rounds).

Even humanoid creatures with the strength to pull a jungle giant bow cannot use it, because the arrows are over 6' long (2d6 +9 damage). Jungle giants will occasionally use the trunk of a dead tree as a club, doing 2d8 +9 points damage.

Mighty composite longbows (+9 Str bonus) and greatclub on attack lines?

Jungle giants prefer to take their prey from ambushes, firing their bows from the treetops and then swinging down sturdy branches or thick ropes to finish off their prey. Camouflaged giants cause a -1 penalty on opponents' surprise rolls. When setting up a blind, they can camouflage themselves in jungle terrain with a 60% chance of success. Setting up a blind or decorating themselves with jungle camouflage takes three turns.

Same as forest giant: +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. *In wooded areas, this bonus rises to +8? Maybe increase to +12 if given time to prepare a blind?

A jungle giant village is 50% likely to shelter 1-6 giant dragonflies.

Add to Org line?

Ecology: Jungle giants think of most creatures as prey, but those they accept as fellow hunters they respect as equals, regardless of their size. Although they much prefer the jungle terrain they know so well, they are often forced to leave the trees for the savanna when their numbers become too great to survive in the jungle. They think nothing of eating every snake, antelope, cat, warthog, ostrich, and elephant they come across. Jungle giants on the savannah often return to the forest, because their great height makes stealthy hunting difficult for them on open ground.

Environment: Warm forests and plains?

freyar

I'd be agreeable to all that. Maybe switch the poison to paralysis for a reasonably similar length of time.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Rock throwing/catching? Not all giants have it. Forest giants have both, despite reliance on bows. I'm ambivalent on the matter, as their bows will likely be superior options.

Organization is a bit tricky for these fellows. We've already established that a village will contain 1d6 giant dragonflies along with the giants. The # appearing lists only 1-6, which really isn't enough to constitute a village. I figure that best represents a hunting party. How many should a village constitute?

Skills: 48

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, 3 more

freyar

The original text doesn't seem to support rock throwing/catching. Any examples of earlier edition giants without those that get them in 3.X?

How about 20-40 plus 1d10 children plus 1d6 giant dragonflies?

Hide 16, Move Silently 16, Survival 16? Or do you want to put in Spot & Listen also? (Maybe take 4 ranks off the first three each and put 6 each in Spot and Listen.)

Could go Dodge, Mobility, Shot on the Run if you want.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Honestly, I can't think of any, but I think bows should more than suffice.

Updated.

The rest of the suggestions look good. I followed your second suggestion, plus took four more ranks from Move Silently (so it would equal Hide), and put the remainder in Spot and Listen.

freyar

Yeah, I don't see a need for the rock stuff.

You know, Handle Animal might be a good skill for these also. Maybe take 2 ranks each from Spot, Listen, and Survival and put 6 into Handle Animal? It would help with the giant dragonflies.

CR 9? Seems comparable to a frost giant and not quite as good as a fire giant.

Remove ads