• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off giants and their kin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That would work, though the bit about Shou Lung makes me think about making him a monk. (This might require some comments in the main swamp giant flavor section.)

freyar

The Shou Disciple prestige class from Unapproachable East would be perfect. :cool:
Too bad it's not core. :p

What did you think about monk? It would be unusual for a swamp giant, but otherwise I think it fits. We could just put a flavor blurb that there are some lowish-level monks in his immediate clan. The other thing is that monk goes well with killing a dragon with his bare hands.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So, 10th-level monk?

Str: 24
Int: 10
Dex: 12
Cha: 18
Wis: 10
Con: 22

Using elite array: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 15
Plus 1 ability increase at 4th-level (put into Wis) and 8th-level (put into Wis)
Plus racial modifiers: Str +18, Con +14, Int -2, Wis +4, Cha +4

Gives us: Str 32, Dex 13, Con 24, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 19

Look OK?

Edit: Added King Sully assuming the ability scores above.

Last edited:

freyar

Those ability scores look pretty good to me. How about Improved Grapple, Combat Reflexes, and Improved Trip for the monk bonus feats?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good.

Suggested monk ranged weapon (choose from light crossbow, heavy crossbow, dagger, handaxe, javelin, shuriken, sling)?

We need 9 more feats (2 can be epic). Some suggestions: Awesome Blow, Deflect Arrows, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (unarmed strike), Iron Will, Negotiator, Power Attack, Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike)

We have 40 monk skill ranks to spend. Maybe 16 ranks each in Diplomacy and Sense Motive, and 8 ranks each in Balance, Listen, Spot, Tumble?

freyar

I like the javelin for the ranged weapon. It's close to the spear but a little more refined.

The skills also look good.

I like your suggested feats, but I'm trying to find something epic to squeeze in there. Is epic weapon focus worth it (maybe instead of IBR)? Or we could go the route of overwhelming crit, but that takes up most of the feats to get the prereqs.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Epic Weapon Focus adds +2, but the revised version requires Greater WF, for which he cannot qualify. He could take Epic Prowess and gain a +1 on all attacks. I should have suggested Epic Will rather than Iron Will, as IW isn't a prereq for EW.

It's too bad his Dex isn't higher, or he could take Legendary Wrestler.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads