• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off giants and their kin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If we let it fly, it needs to be quite slow. The original did spell out that only the cloud form could fly, so we should keep the giant flight to 5 or 10 ft or something.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm fine with leaving off flying in this form.

Gaseous Giant Form (Ex): A spectral cloud's insubstantial giant form grants it immunity to critical hits. It cannot run, and it is subject to winds. It cannot wear armor, manipulate solid objects, or enter water or other liquids. It can pass through small holes or narrow openings--even mere cracks.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Damage reduction 10 or 15/magic? The original was immune to less than +3 weapons.

Skills: 5 at 21 ranks
Cloud giants have Climb, Craft (any one), Intimidate, Listen, Perform (harp), Sense Motive, Spot

Feats: 7 (cloud giants have Awesome Blow, Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Iron Will, Power Attack)

freyar

DR 15 would fit with +3 weapons. And it's not likely that they'll be facing many nonmagic weapons anyway, so we can penalize adventurers who aren't using them.

Climb, Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot. Climb for the giant form? I don't see these performing or crafting much any more.

Due to reduced Str, we're going to need to change all those feats except Iron Will. Any ideas?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Dodge, Improved Critical (chilling touch), Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (chilling touch)?

If we boost Int to 13, we could add Combat Expertise and Whirlwind Attack, which seem thematically appropriate.

freyar

Oh, I meant compared to the original monster. But I don't need to decrease anything.

I'm not sure about CR. To be honest, I think they might not be any better than a CR 11 dread wraith. Yeah, they have more hp, but I don't think their attacks are quite as scary.

Remove ads