Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off giants and their kin

Shade

Monster Junkie
The original writeup definitely sounds more like the latter, but the former is more of a true lightning bolt. If we go with the latter, I'd suggest we call it "dark jolt" or something, as "lightning" immediately suggests "line of electricity" in 3e.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I vote for the line. Wasn't lightning usually more like a line in 2e also? The damage is a bit low, but it also has energy drain. We could always boost to our favorite d12 damage. :p Or we could replace the chain lightning SLA with a unique Su that's effectively chain lightning plus energy drain. Undecided on the other SLAs.

For Intimidation, I was mostly thinking of the storm cloud as flavor and a flat racial bonus. The summoning issue can be flavor, or we can leave the cloud there permanently, which I kind of favor.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I think our lightning should be a ranged touch attack ala dark jolt. We could make it do 5-10d6 electricity damage and one negative level or something. These guys are prtty high CR--make 'em earn it!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think our lightning should be a ranged touch attack ala dark jolt. We could make it do 5-10d6 electricity damage and one negative level or something. These guys are prtty high CR--make 'em earn it!
Fair enough. But then let's keep the lightning-themed SLAs, at least chain lightning, for mutli-critter attacks.

Shade

Monster Junkie

Fair enough. But then let's keep the lightning-themed SLAs, at least chain lightning, for mutli-critter attacks.

OK, let's do those. And for the electrical SLAs, how about we allow it to infuse 'em with half negative energy damage?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed! So something like this?

Dark Jolt (Su): As a standard action, a temperament may target a single creature within x feet with a jolt of blue lightning fused with negative energy. If the temperament succeeds on a ranged touch attack, the victim suffers 5d12 points of electricity damage. Additionally, living creatures hit by a temperament's dark jolt gain one negative level. The DC is x for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level. The save DC is Charisma-based. For each such negative level bestowed, the temperament gains 5 temporary hit points.

Black Lightning (Su): A temperament may choose to infuse its electricity-based spell-like abilities with negative energy. It must declare this intention before making the attack. Victims take half electricity damage and half negative energy damage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since it can be used every round, should we add it to the attack lines?

Suggested electricity damage rider for melee attacks?

Remove ads