• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

Cleon

Legend
Transferred to Homebrews with flavor text and description.

One question: Why does the creature reform after splitting? I got the impression they functioned similarly to the black pudding, with splitting being a method of reproduction.

I just did it so they'd be different from the SRD Black Puddings. It may be truer to the generic pudding concept if they stayed split, so you can cut out that bit of the text if you like. They're colony creatures, so it sort of makes sense that if the two split halves bump into each other they merge back together. How about rewriting it to:

Split (Ex)
Blows from weapons and electricity attacks cause a deadly pudding to divide into two identical oozes, each with half of the original’s current hit points, rounded down, after subtracting the damage of the attack which caused the split.
If the split portions of the deadly pudding contact each other after the combat is over they will reintegrate into one creature with combined hit points, taking a move-equivalent action by each fragment to rejoin into a whole. A split portion of the deadly pudding with fewer than 36 hit points is not large enough to be viable, dying within an hour, and will wander the area seeking to merge with another fragment of itself. Larger portions become fully independent oozes after an hour and wander off. Such new puddings have Hit Dice proportional to their size, to a minimum of 6 Hit Dice. Thus, a 15 Hit Dice 188 hit points pudding struck with a blow doing 12 hit points of damage would fight as two 15 Hit Dice, 88 hit point (188 - 12 divided by two) monsters for up to an hour, before become two 7 Hit Dice (15 divided by two, rounded down) 88 hit point deadly puddings.

What do you think?

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, I hadn't noticed that. I usually prefer to go with standardized abilities when there's no pressing reason in the original text, but I'm ok with split puddings reforming, I guess.

Cleon

Legend
Let's just keep 'em the same as the black pudding in this instance, for "evolutionary consistency". ;)

As you like. In that case shall we cut out the last sentence of Split and leave:

Split (Ex):
Blows from weapons and electricity attacks cause a deadly pudding to divide into two identical oozes, each with half of the original’s current hit points, rounded down, after subtracting the damage of the attack which caused the split.

Remove ads