• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

Cleon

Legend
MR 20% translates to CR + 5.

If we had settled on the Challenge Rating that might mean something! :lol:

*Ahem*

We've got CR 8 penciled in, one higher than the SRD Black Pudding.

That feels about right, and would become Spell Resistance 13 using CR +5.

Alternatively, a 20% failure for a CL of 11 works out to Spell Resistance 16.

So, shall we use one, t'other, or something in-between like SR 14 or 15?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, let's just go with SR 14.

I'll update the Working Draft with SR 14, although I suspect Shade might change it to CR +6 later on...

Now skills and feats?

Ranks of Hide 13, Move Silently 5, Listen 8?

Its Dex and Huge size gives it a hefty Hide penalty.

We could give it mostly stealthy-related feats to compensate - e.g. Stealthy, Skill Focus (Hide), Skill Focus (Move Silently) - or add a racial bonus to Hide and/or Move Silently. I'd favor something like a racial bonus to Hide checks when it subterranean environments, since it's "easy to spot in the open".

So, how about this:

Skill Ranks: Hide 9, Move Silently 9, Listen 8
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +2*, Move Silently +10, Listen +8
Feats: Improved Initiative, Reckless Offense [?], Stealthy, Weapon Focus (slam)
Skill bonuses: A dense pudding has a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. A dense pudding has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.
*A dense pudding has a +8 circumstance bonus to Hide checks in underground caves.
[A Gray Pudding is even better at ambushing, so methinks we'd better give the Gray a +12 circumstance bonus and SF (Move Silently)]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads