• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We'll just have to make sure it's CR 8, then. ;)

I'd rather not boost Hide so much, I think. (Did you remember to include the +4 racial bonus there? I have -5 Dex, -8 Huge, +13 ranks, +2 Stealthy, +4 racial always = +6. Did I screw something up there?) Let's move some of the ranks somewhere else and maybe only give it a racial/circumstance bonus to Hide underground.

Cleon

Legend
We'll just have to make sure it's CR 8, then. ;)

I'd rather not boost Hide so much, I think. (Did you remember to include the +4 racial bonus there? I have -5 Dex, -8 Huge, +13 ranks, +2 Stealthy, +4 racial always = +6. Did I screw something up there?) Let's move some of the ranks somewhere else and maybe only give it a racial/circumstance bonus to Hide underground.

The final proposal used 9 ranks in Hide, not 13, and the circumstance bonus already only applies to "Hide underground":

So, how about this:

Skill Ranks: Hide 9, Move Silently 9, Listen 8
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +2*, Move Silently +10, Listen +8
Feats: Improved Initiative, Reckless Offense [?], Stealthy, Weapon Focus (slam)
Skill bonuses: A dense pudding has a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. A dense pudding has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.
*A dense pudding has a +8 circumstance bonus to Hide checks in underground caves.

An AD&D Dense Pudding is pretty good at ambushes (-2 to opponent's surprise), so it needs non-trivial Hide and Move Silently skills for its Challenge Rating. Just not as good as a Gray Pudding's (which was -4).

Incidentally, a 2E AD&D leopard had a -3 surprise modifier, and those cats have +8 Hide and Move Silently in 3E (increases to +12 Hide in undergrowth).

A Dense Pudding with Hide +2 (+10 in caves) and Move Silently +10 is roughly on par with a leopard, which has a LOT lower CR.

freyar

Besides the circumstance bonus underground, you have a racial bonus all the time. I'm proposing to drop that racial bonus. Leopards should be good at hiding for their CR, and I wouldn't expect a dense pudding to be good at hiding outside it's natural habitat -- underground.

Cleon

Legend
Besides the circumstance bonus underground, you have a racial bonus all the time. I'm proposing to drop that racial bonus. Leopards should be good at hiding for their CR, and I wouldn't expect a dense pudding to be good at hiding outside it's natural habitat -- underground.

But, going by the surprise modifier, a Dense Pudding should be almost as ggod at hiding for their CR as a Leopard.

I would consider dropping the general Hide bonus and giving it a +12 bonus to Hide checks underground, which results in the same underground hiding numbers, but just dropping the +4 racial bonus would certainly weaken its stealth skills too much.

Shade

Monster Junkie
But, going by the surprise modifier, a Dense Pudding should be almost as ggod at hiding for their CR as a Leopard.

I would consider dropping the general Hide bonus and giving it a +12 bonus to Hide checks underground, which results in the same underground hiding numbers, but just dropping the +4 racial bonus would certainly weaken its stealth skills too much.

I favor this approach.

freyar

+12 Hide underground is fine; I just don't want them to get a bonus outside their natural environment.

I think CR 8 works well; they're pretty comparable to the CR 7 black pudding, but the extra hp from Hearty are probably worth an extra CR -- they'd buy it an extra round of combat, I'd expect.

Cleon

Legend
+12 Hide underground is fine; I just don't want them to get a bonus outside their natural environment.

I think CR 8 works well; they're pretty comparable to the CR 7 black pudding, but the extra hp from Hearty are probably worth an extra CR -- they'd buy it an extra round of combat, I'd expect.

Works for me.

Updating the Working Draft.

What about the suggestion of increasing the weight since it's eponymously "Dense"?

A standard Black Pudding (15' dia by 2' thick, 9 short tons) works out to 50.92 lbs per cubic foot.

How about increasing the weight by 25% to 22,500 pounds, which would make it 63.66 lbs per cu', or slightly above the density of water (62.43 lb/cu')?

Or, we could make it 22,000 pounds, which equals 62.25 lb/cu', so it will have more-or-less neutral buoyancy rather than a tendency to slowly sink.

freyar

22000 or 22500 doesn't make much difference to me, I suppose. Water is surprisingly dense! I guess I'd pick 22000 if it's all equal to you, but I'll go along with whichever you prefer.

Remove ads