• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Moldvay's Undead

Cleon

Legend

But, but, I liked the healing or temp hit point model for Blood Drain. :.-(

Also don't much care for the Blood Feast going up to five times their base hp - that's 160 hp! My proposal was an maximum additional 5 temp hit points per HD, which doesn't even put them at twice their average HP.

If the non temp hp really bothers you so much I guess I'll forgive you cutting it, but I think you'd better bring the maximum down a bit!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I feel your pain, Cleon. But I have a hard time with these getting real hp when a vampire only gets temporary hp.

I do agree about the maximum. Limit it to, say, 20 temporary hp. Otherwise, it's hardly worth bothering with such a high limit!

Shade

Monster Junkie
I feel your pain, Cleon. But I have a hard time with these getting real hp when a vampire only gets temporary hp.

Agreed.

I do agree about the maximum. Limit it to, say, 20 temporary hp. Otherwise, it's hardly worth bothering with such a high limit!

Let's say double max hp? Or we can stick to the undead standard of no limit, but they only last for an hour.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Next!

Bloody Bones
FREQUENCY: Very rare
NO. APPEARING: 1 (30% chance of 2-12)
ARMOR CLASS: 7
MOVE: 12.
HIT DICE: 3
% IN LAIR: 50%
TREASURE TYPE: 40% chance each of J-N
(B in lair if more than 1)
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-10
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Fear
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
lNTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT: Neutral evil
SIZE: M
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil

Bloody bones are the undead, animated corpses of evil criminals cursed to continue their horrid trade long after they should have died. They look like bloody skeletons with a few shreds of flesh hanging on the bones. In fact, they resemble corpses left hanging on gibbets (a traditional punishment for criminals).

Bloody bones lair in hidden caves or deep concealed pits. They venture forth only to kill and rob victims. At the sight of a bloody bones, a character must make a saving throw vs. spells or else suffer the effects of a fear spell. For the effects of damage vs. a bloody bones, treat the creature as if it were a skeleton (i.e., one-half damage from sharp weapons, etc.). The chance of a cleric turning a bloody bones is the same as the cleric’s chance to turn a shadow.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #138 (1988).

Remove ads