D&D (2024) Species Playtest Summary and discussion - Cleric pack

Lojaan

Hero
I get why they don't want goliaths large. I like the idea that their ancestors grant them something, just not sure I love all the decisions.

Dragonborn are good.

Ardlings? I don't get the suggested cantrip at all. No one will keep that as their choice, I don't think. Overall, this is a pretty good design.
Yeah thaumaturgy is a bit of a nothing cantrip. Everyone will just be using guidance anyway.

Tho you can swap it out every long rest with these rules so it's no biggie

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yeah thaumaturgy is a bit of a nothing cantrip. Everyone will just be using guidance anyway.

Tho you can swap it out every long rest with these rules so it's no biggie
Right, but why suggest that if you are trying to help me players with this kind of thing?

Clint_L

Hero
I would just always default to resistance as my cantrip and enjoy +2.5 to most of my saving throws, with the possibility to giving the bonus to someone else, situation demanding. That is one hell of a cantrip.

Overall, I really like these changes. Dragonborn will be more likely to actually use their breath weapon, and the flight only comes in at level 5, when it is more balanced, and has limitations so it isn't too much. I think they really hit the sweet spot with this race.

Goliaths were a fairly popular but basic class. Now they are a little more interesting but there might be some balance issues: if you are a martial class the hill giant ancestry that lets you automatically knock an opponent prone after a hit is going to make them the go-to choice for martial classes, tanking builds in particular.

Ardlings are...fine. Generic option for folks who want to play an animal-person that isn't Tabaxi, Kenku, Tortle, Harengon, etc. In terms of story, I would much rather they were the result of experimentation, like a Dr. Moreau situation, than the divine origins thing.

Last edited:

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Not fond of the goliath's "grow big" ability. WotC seems to be jumping through a lot of convoluted hoops to make them a large species without just making them Large.

Having said that, genasi and goliaths are two of my favorite ancestries, so while I have mixed feelings about the fusion, it's overall a positive for me.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Right, but why suggest that if you are trying to help me players with this kind of thing?
Because Prestidigitation/Thuamaturgy/Mage Hand are the most fun and varied in use cantrips, and the ones I personally view as mandatory when I'm picking spells. Inventive uses of those spells are something that can really sell the magic of imaginative play. I know it's not an unpopular home rule to give each class its "flavor" cantrip as a free one.

Lojaan

Hero
Because Prestidigitation/Thuamaturgy/Mage Hand are the most fun and varied in use cantrips, and the ones I personally view as mandatory when I'm picking spells. Inventive uses of those spells are something that can really sell the magic of imaginative play. I know it's not an unpopular home rule to give each class its "flavor" cantrip as a free one.
There is also an odd design decision when if comes to "suggested" options. Why is this option suggested? Do you suggest the best, in which case people will realise that all other options are traps and you have a badly designed game. Or do you recommend the "second best" to reward interested players with the actual best if they look, which quickly discredits your suggestions completely.

Spells are currently a mess of too many options. Having suggested choices doesn't really help enough in my opinion. Much better to mandate the spells a character gets at level 1 and let them discover and acquire new spells during the game.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
My 13yo has really liked playing Dragonborn and is a huge fan of the getting wings at 5th level. One of the other players right now expressed disappointment and surprise this past week that the one he just created didn't have wings by default.

13yo also loves the thought of playing a dinosaur headed character.

Mage Hand is incredibly useful though in actual play. Prestidigitation is such a massive QoL upgrade that I've seen most min-max leaning players take it. In comparison, Thaumaturgy and Druidcraft are lame clunkers. Maybe if they were bonus actions without a verbal component they'd see use, but even then they're so forgettable. Our last party had three tieflings in it, and I think I saw them cast Thaumaturgy maybe five times combined in three years of play. Chanting for an action to make your eyes go black... meh.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Mage Hand is incredibly useful though in actual play. Prestidigitation is such a massive QoL upgrade that I've seen most min-max leaning players take it. In comparison, Thaumaturgy and Druidcraft are lame clunkers. Maybe if they were bonus actions without a verbal component they'd see use, but even then they're so forgettable. Our last party had three tieflings in it, and I think I saw them cast Thaumaturgy maybe five times combined in three years of play. Chanting for an action to make your eyes go black... meh.
My player uses it constantly for communication, intimidation, and loves slamming open windows/doors. Now, what I will say is I don't think I've ever seen them use it in combat, and Presti/MH definitely have been, so that's a fair knock against it.

Incenjucar

Legend
It's the default because it makes the most sense to be the default and carries the most flavor.
You are a divine being with the head of a jackal or whatever. Being able to shout "I have come on behalf of the gods!" super loud and then making the ground rumble when you stomp on it makes all the sense in the world.

Remove ads