Spectator Commentary thread for Ceramic DM (Winter 2005)

Hellefire

First Post
board downtime

Seems like I check these threads incessently these days. I noticed when I tried this morning (last night U.S. time) that the boards were down for a db merge. Of course I understand this is necessary due to the new server. But...it could pose serious problems for timing issues. I think at the very least downtime should be added to the 72 hours for anyone who's clock is already ticking. If the boards were down for 8 hours, and I happened to be going to work or away from the computer for the 16 hours immediately following that, I would be hosed for a full day because they happened to be down in the only slot when I could use them. Of course, there is an email to send stories to as well, but I can say I personally havent written it down yet, and since it's posted on the boards, if the boards are down, I don't know what I would do. I guess I should go write down that email now :)

Aaron Blair
Foren Star

BSF

Explorer
Yeah, it can cause the stress to bump up there. :)

I suppose I am somewhat lucky. I remember Piratecat's and Alsih2o's email addresses. I don't have a good solution other than "write it down". The board Maintenance caught me off guard tonight too. I'm glad Michael's working on it, but it caused me to freak for a moment.

Hellefire

First Post
Einstein can kiss my butt. Relativity indeed. A first look at the pictures, a bit of mental orginization to come up with some kind of linear ideas, writing some ideas down, getting the story finished, editing and error-checking it, posting it, done. Whew. Nothing left but the waiting. And waiting. Now I know this for next time, but it's been the longest 4 days of my life so far, and I think I still have a couple to go. Not that I'm impatient...just...excited. Yeah, that's a good adjective :). This being my first time at this, is that normal?

Aaron Blair
Foren Star

Eeralai

First Post
While we are waiting...

Totally normal, Hellefire. This is my first time competing, but when my husband competed I would check for judgements just as obsessively. At least now I have a sense of accomplishment, but I still check the boards whenever I walk by the computer room.

I finally read Macbeth's and Ruined's stories. Great job! Macbeth, your writing style in this story is very smooth, and the use of repition well done since it is a folktale. Some of your previous stories have had a brusque style which has been jarring to me. But the words go together seamlessly in this one. Good job, and good picture use!

What a fun story, Ruined! I, too, often wonder if fairies ever get bored :) And your humor is good (from a previous post, it sounded like you were worried about that). The beginning drew me in rapidly. I think Macbeth had slightly better picture use, with the feet being your weak one, but you get kudos for originality! Good luck to you both!

Berandor

lunatic
Waiting is *HELL*

I'll be able to start reading this weekend, hopefully, and try to alleviate your torment by posting my observations here.

I couldn't think of a good title for this one, one that didn't give the story away from the get-go. So, if anyone has a good suggestion, let me know. Once the competition is over I'll ask one of the Mods or BardStephenFox to add the title for posterity.

Thorod Ashstaff

First Post
Liked your story a lot, Rodrigo, especially that it ends with the question of the 'company's' motives still burning, makes you want to read the sequel.

How about something simple, like 'eating' or 'love amongst the bodies'? Personally, I hate coming up with a title, and I don't like mine. Sometimes my titles change more often than the story does.

Good luck.

Hellefire

First Post
This is part humor and part psychodic flash. It comes from watching the first stories/judgement...which had a 2 day turn-around time from posting to judged. This being my first time at this, I thought hm, ok, I can wonder at my fate and hit refresh for 2 days. So I joined up, awaited my pictures, got them, wrote and posted my story. And now. Now. NOW. 6 days later and I hear I may have to wait til monday for at least one of the judges, um, judgements? WTF? Who gave judges real lives and jobs and crap like that? Don't they know what this MEANS? Don't they know my gf and I have been waiting with this bottle unopened, waiting to toast my victory or my competitors victory and have a little fun? Don't they know this bottle is getting moldy???

ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I won, I lost, I dont care just TELL ME!!!!!!!

*breathe* *breathe* *breathe*

ok, back to your regularly scheduled program

Aaron

Remove ads