D&D 5E Speculation on how you think Tomb of Annihilation will start

Klaudius Rex

Explorer
Hope this thread isn't too ridiculous, but ive seen worse...

Anyways, Im kinda excited about the new upcoming adventure path, and wanted to get a little thread going on how you think Tomb of Annihilation will start...?

I mean Curse of Strahd had "the Mists"...

Out of the Abyss threw you into a drow prison...

Hoard of the Dragon Queen started with a blue dragon attack on a small town...

I forget out Princes of the Apocalypse started, but you get the point.

The initial "hook" in any campaign is important, and I've noticed that 5e adventure paths have had some outrageous starting episodes, sharply trying to get players involved in the campaigns early.

How do you think Tomb of Annihilation will start?

Will there be a portal that just takes you to Chult?
Will you accept a quest from some fiefdom along the Sword Coast and go on a boat?
Will a ship get lost like on Gilligan's island?

How do you think it will go down? And perhaps more importantly, how would you like an adventure like this to start?

I want to hear from players and DMs...

Thanks in advance!

ccs

41st lv DM
I think it'll start with the PCs learning something about how resurrection magic is malfunctioning & being sent to investigate some lead about that.

Alternatively I could see the PCs following some treasure map/expedition into the jungles seeking the Ring of Winter

CapnZapp

Legend

Anyways, Im kinda excited about the new upcoming adventure path, and wanted to get a little thread going on how you think Tomb of Annihilation will start...?

The initial "hook" in any campaign is important, and I've noticed that 5e adventure paths have had some outrageous starting episodes, sharply trying to get players involved in the campaigns early.

Will you accept a quest from some fiefdom along the Sword Coast and go on a boat?

How do you think it will go down? And perhaps more importantly, how would you like an adventure like this to start?

Thanks in advance!
Not at all - I think this is a very relevant thread!

Especially for me and my group - we're running low level adventures in and around Red Larch while we await September 22, hoping ToA will be great.

And more specifically for this thread, that we can still run the low-level introduction so we don't miss out on the table-setting.

Even more specifically, I'm hoping the intro isn't about sailing down to Chult, because I've already planned to use the portal hidden inside the Red Larch Inn to dump them there once it's time to relocate...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Inchoroi

Adventurer

Thanks in advance!

My guess is they do it in the same way that they got Artus Cimber to go to Chult in the first place--a friend had just come back, and had a map! Just rereading Ring of Winter in preparation for reading Tomb of Annihilation.

BoldItalic

First Post
You are camped outside the ruins of Luskan. A mysterious Ranger ...

Oh, I see what you mean.

No doubt there will be optional starting points so you can get there if you've just finished LMoP, or starting from new Level 1-3 characters somewhere in Chult near a suitable village with a haunted graveyard, or jump straight in at level 4-5 outside a ruined temple deep in the jungle. Lots of options.

Last edited:

Remove ads