D&D (2024) Speculation Welcome: What's Next for D&D?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Then again, once upon a time I knew I could buy nearly anything Paizo of Goodman put out for D&D and it would be competent, if not spectacular. I miss those days.
Heh... but the question for this is... is this because those products were objectively good, or merely because they were written in such a way that they matched your preferred style? ;)

And that's the issue for all of us across the board when it comes to this stuff... how many products would we individually claim to be the peaks of module design could actually be crap for any number of other people because the stuff we find exceedingly important in a module is considered superfluous or trash for someone else?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Perhaps. But D&D has been enjoying an unprecedented moment of cultural relevance for almost 10 years now, and it surely has to end some time. A good candidate for that would seem to be the moment when WotC try to get lots of people to replace their $150 core rulebooks with some mechanically-similar $180+ rulebooks.
...or with a "only $9.99* per month!" subscription service.

*this is not a figure I'm actually quoting from anywhere

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
You know who makes my favorite 5E adventures? Arcane Library (now of Shadowdark fame). Their modules are written and organized in an incredibly clear and easy-to-use fashion.

Retreater

Legend
My thought about Perkins and Crawford being figureheads was that they get rolled out a lot to talk about the game publicly, being used as ambassadors for the brand. I wonder how much actual design work they're doing these days. Maybe a lot? WotC has been turning to freelancers recently to work on their books.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
My thought about Perkins and Crawford being figureheads was that they get rolled out a lot to talk about the game publicly, being used as ambassadors for the brand. I wonder how much actual design work they're doing these days. Maybe a lot? WotC has been turning to freelancers recently to work on their books.

I am pretty sure they're senior project managers on the whole thing? Which...is hard work. Very hard. Herding cats hard.

mamba

Legend
Not to start clickbait hysteria (again), but here's the new Professor DM video...
didn’t he just do a mea culpa video about the ‘WotC is selling D&D’ video? Doesn’t look like he learned his lesson (have not watched the video, going by the title…)

Hussar

Legend

Recently?

Most of 5e has been done by freelancers.

I like rolling saving throws for a PC cause it feels like their fate is in my hands. Which, it kind of is since i'm making decisions for them. As GM though, its nice to have the VTT pop out 10+ saving throws for fire ball for me.
I can see having a conversion table where only players ever roll.

Saves for monsters are players rolling d20+casting stat+prof bonus vs 14+stat (+prof bonus if applicable).

For AC it is d20+Armor bonus vs 12+ attack bonus.

Maybe there already is a variant in the dmg...

Remove ads