Speedy character optimization and bonus land speed questions

Cyronax

Explorer
Okay,

So basically I am trying to build a character for my first Living Greyhawk session in two weeks. LG is a 28 point buy system that allows for a number of add ons.

My general concept is a character is a warrior cleric that is incredibly fast.

Tell me if this works:

1st level barbarian human (speed 40 ft) -- barbarian fast movement

2nd level barbarian cleric human (speed 50 ft*) -- barbarian fast movement + Celerity domain;
sometimes character can achieve speed 80 ft thanks to Expeditious Retreat domain spell.

3rd level barbarian cleric (2) human (speed 50 ft*) -- same as above, but I am able to take Divine Vigor now, and thus I have a land speed of 90 if fully buffed.

Do all of these speeds stack? I know the Expeditious Retreat is an enhancement bonus, while the other three buffs seem to be just unnamed additions to the characters speed.

Also what future feats (i.e. Dash) or prestige classes should I take to up the character's speed even further. As a human cleric with the Celerity domain, his patron deity can be Ehlonna, Fharlanghn, Istus, Olidammara, or Zuoken.

I'm planning on doing the ever-fun Spring Attack feat chain as well.

As for RP, I see this guy as essentially a CG or N opportunistic adventurer who is fascinated by magic. I'm still working on the rest.

Thanks for the help!

C.I.D.

hanniball

First Post
Indeed unnamed bonuses stack (as long as they're from seperate sources) so you're good.

As far as further speed optimization, all of the ideas I have are for optimizing Fly speed. If you're capable of obtaining a fly speed and are interested in these tricks let me know.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Sithobi1

First Post
A level of Ardent for the Freedom mantle will get you another +10, as will Speed of Thought at the same level(and the Wis synergy is nice).
Barb 1/Clr 1/Ardent 1=70 ft move speed.

Last edited:

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Because the Barbarian bonus is unnamed, Cleric is a Domain (Unnamed), you could use Scout 3 or Monk 3. Scout allowing you to wear light armor. To increase your base land speed to 60.

Just my ideas.

MadMaxim

First Post
There's a trait in Unearthed Arcana that gives you 1 hp less per level, but you get +10 ft. base land speed. As far as I remember it's an unnamed bonus so it should stack with everything.

werk

First Post
I was going to use a level of psion, psychoport, for burst and the feat Speed of Thought. That would add some more oomph, but you probably don't have the Int for it.

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Probably best to take Psywarrior rather than Psion, as they have Wis-based powers. They get a Bonus feat also, same as a psion. Since Psywarriors have a bigger hit die, they don't lag in hp like you would for a psion. Since you're dipping, your PsP total isn't that important. Burst and Skate are good options for a Psywarrior.

Since you're focused on movement, Expeditious Dodge (RoW) is an excellent feat to take. I also recommend Up the Walls (XPH), for more mobility.

Remove ads