Spell Compendium: Is it worth the $$

Is the Spell Compendium worth the $$

• Absolutely worth every penny for the ease of reference!

Votes: 157 59.2%
  • Nice to have, but not a *huge* help.

Votes: 70 26.4%
  • Not really worth-while to purchase.

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • A complete waste of $$

Votes: 20 7.5%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted BUY!

Its not perfect- it does have some BAD typos/editing errors- but it collects SO much stuff between 2 covers, its either going to save you a fair amount of money and/or save you a lot of time scrambling through a host of other books to find particular spells.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
If you're not ever going to play a spellcaster, you shouldn't buy it, as you won't have a use for it.

However, if you're doing any sort of spellcasting, it's very much worth it. Even if I don't agree with the changes they've made to some spells*, it's still great having them where you can make use of them.

Brad

* - Fire Brand should've been bumped to 6, not have its die cap cut down and a half-strength lingering aftereffect that adds to bookkeeping added.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
The worst part of the book is that wtc really does a shoty print job now. The ink smudges and the paper is too thin. The content of the book is very good, but the book itself really is sub par. This makes the price not worth it becuse they are ripping you off with cheap meterials.

Razz

Banned
Banned
I put it's a complete waste of money.

Why?

I have all the spells first-hand from their original sources. But now I am stuck purchasing it because they REVISED almost every spell in there. A damn corporate trick to suck up more of our cash. I should receive errata and revisions for FREE! I paid for it once, why do I have to pay for it again...and again....and again....

Razz said:
I put it's a complete waste of money.

Why?

I have all the spells first-hand from their original sources. But now I am stuck purchasing it because they REVISED almost every spell in there. A damn corporate trick to suck up more of our cash. I should receive errata and revisions for FREE! I paid for it once, why do I have to pay for it again...and again....and again....

You do get errata for free. WotC releases errata on their website on a regular basis.

And no, you aren't entitled to revisions for free, any more than you're entitled to Windows XP because you have Windows ME, or you're entitled to a 2006-model car because you own a 2005 model.

Corsair

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
You do get errata for free. WotC releases errata on their website on a regular basis.

And no, you aren't entitled to revisions for free, any more than you're entitled to Windows XP because you have Windows ME, or you're entitled to a 2006-model car because you own a 2005 model.

What the Mousepire said. People (not just games, but people in general) seem to have a sense of entitlement these days. :(

Kuld

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:

Also, what I like about RPGs is that older versions never become obsolete. The earlier editions are just as playable as they were when they were new. The same is true with the new edition revisions. I am still anxiously awaiting my copy of the compendium from our friends at Amazon.

To me, it's the best WotC release of the year. As somebody who doesn't really want to keep up with Splatbook Of The Month, one big book with (almost) all the spells in it is really a good thing.

Now, there are some editing problems, and they don't have all the spells in there (like Genesis, I noticed they changed Creation domain and took out the Genesis spell), but it's certainly worth what you pay for it. On my bookshelf it's right next to the 3 Core Books.

Remove ads