• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spell focus requires 13 Cha?

I agree with ryryguy. It is an awesome feat for wiz, and only wiz can get it. You have to pay for the privilege! I have no problem with it.

My Orb Wiz: 8-12-10-16-16-12. Orb Wiz don't need DEX (Flipping through the powers shows that not one uses DEX), +2 on the INT for human and off I go:)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Lab_Monkey said:
Astral Fire suffers from the same problem: Cha and Dex

Honestly, I'm finding Dex to be sub-optimal for everything but a couple feats and wand-wielding wizards. Those heroic tier feats (such as astral fire, raging storm, etc.) definitely makes Eladrin a more appealing choice.

Likewise- Astral Fire and Spell Focus make Tieflings surprisingly good wizards.

The races that make the best wizards are (in no particular order):

Eladrin
Tiefling
Human
Elf

Dwarves can make an OK wizard as well.

I do not find that any of those four I listed are clearly superior. It really comes down to what kind of wizard you want. Several tend more towards wands, others towards orbs.

I chose Human simply because all the Wizard at-will abilities are good, and gaining an extra one was valuable enough to convince me. But I have seen great builds for all four of those races (that just wouldn't have worked as well without that race).

DM_Blake

First Post
evilbob said:
I have to say, though, that the Cha 13 requirement really seems a bit... silly. I mean, what in the world does charisma have to do with negating someone's save chance, especially when all of your spells are based on Int?

Easy.

You talk them into, or trick them into, looking the other way (Hey, what's that over there?), or ducking too soon (when you're really aiming at their knees anyway), or jumping to the left (when you were aiming to the left all along), or disbelieving the illusion (when the spell is real), etc.

Ergo, your CHA influences the target into being an easier target.

QED.

DM_Blake

First Post
Just wait until they release bards, the CHA-based casters using wizard powers.

Those guys will be uber, and they'll all have this feat.

Xect

Explorer
DM_Blake said:

If they were using wizard powers, their hit-bonus would be int-based wouldn't it?

So we have the cha-based class that uses int to attack. Truly, bards will hold to their tradition of epic suckage worthy (only) of songs and ballads :cool:

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Putting stat requirements on feats that are totally outside of the desired stats for a class is a very bad way to balance things, IMO. They have very few feats that are even designed for casters, and then they basically flip you the bird by saying, hey, if you want it, you're going to have to screw your character's abilities.

Falling Icicle said:
Putting stat requirements on feats that are totally outside of the desired stats for a class is a very bad way to balance things, IMO. They have very few feats that are even designed for casters, and then they basically flip you the bird by saying, hey, if you want it, you're going to have to screw your character's abilities.
I don't see how. Yeas CHA and STR are the 2 dump stats for wizard. But due to point buy you might as well go 16 with high ones rather than 18 and having 12 in one of your dump stats is not then a prob. You get the +1 for free at 11th in time to pick up the feat.
Also Wiz now have one skill on their list that is CHA based. No STR or, for that matter, DEX or CON. IMO it is not a problem.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Falling Icicle said:

You tell me how a 12 charisma at first level screws your character's abilities.

DM_Blake said:

The feat only works on Wiz powers therefore bard powers won't get the bonus, any more than fighter powers would.

FadedC

First Post
Just wanted to point out that wizards are far from the only class that has to consiider using points in a way they would prefer not to in order to get a powerful feat or two. If you were to house rule spell focus for wizards you'd probably want to house rule other feats for other classes.

Personally I'm happy with the RAW here, much easier to trying to change every class.

Remove ads