D&D 5E Spell level of Warlock Invocations for Dispel Magic DC

WizardOfFrobozz

Accardi-by-the-Sea
What spell level should be used to determine the DC for dispelling persistent magical effects created by a warlock invocation that either (1) doesn't explicitly involve casting a spell per se, e.g., Cloak of Flies, or (2) is written to allow casting of a spell without using a spell slot or explicitly leveling the spell?

The default answer that comes to mind is "Warlock invocations should all be considered to be 'cast' at the level of the Warlock's spell slots unless explicitly stated otherwise (e.g., Fiendish Vigor)." Any good arguments for taking a different approach?

jgsugden

Legend
Just as a tangent: I am still surprised that mainstream D&D has never developed the litany of spell-battle spells that I have developed in my setting.

• Delfection - 4th level - like counterspell but you change the target rather than dispel it.
  • Delay Spell -2nd level - Like counterspell but the spell isn't ended, just delayed a turn.
  • Supress Spell 4th level - A non-concentration spell that puts a 60 foot aura around you in which a spell (typically counterspell) is automatically countered.
  • Advanced Supress Spell - 6th level - like Supresss Spell, except you cast it as a reaction and the spell you countered is the automatically countered spell.
  • Steal Spell - 3rd level - Take control of an existing spell as if you were the caster. This doesn't change the target, so you can do things like alter the form of a person under the effects of a Shapechange spell. The trick is you have to roll for it and you have to use a slot at least as high level as the spell being stolen (you can't steal a 9th level spell unless you use a 9th level slot).
  • Pocket Spell - 7th level - Like counterspell (except you always have to roll), but if you counter the spell you don't just counter it - you get the ability to cast the spell once (unless someone breaks your concentration).
  • Trim Spell - 2nd level - Like Counterspell except you cut the range of a spell in half. The caster can select a new target if there is a viable one.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Just as a tangent: I am still surprised that mainstream D&D has never developed the litany of spell-battle spells that I have developed in my setting.
Care to share the full spell descriptions for these? Some interesting ideas here!
Delfection - 4th level - like counterspell but you change the target rather than dispel it.
Love this idea - very Dr. Strange. I would hope the roll is a little trickier/harder than standard counterspell.
Delay Spell -2nd level - Like counterspell but the spell isn't ended, just delayed a turn.
I would bump this to 4th level as it is a (potentially) more offensive use of counterspell (unless the target caster knew their spell had been delayed).
  • Supress Spell 4th level - A non-concentration spell that puts a 60 foot aura around you in which a spell (typically counterspell) is automatically countered.
  • Advanced Supress Spell - 6th level - like Supresss Spell, except you cast it as a reaction and the spell you countered is the automatically countered spell.
I like the ideas here, too, but I would bump them up (especially for no concentration!) unless they are limited in some other fashion. Maybe you can only suppress a spell you could cast or only of a certain level (and the spell would still get to roll)?

MarkB

Legend

• Delfection - 4th level - like counterspell but you change the target rather than dispel it.
  • Delay Spell -2nd level - Like counterspell but the spell isn't ended, just delayed a turn.
  • Steal Spell - 3rd level - Take control of an existing spell as if you were the caster. This doesn't change the target, so you can do things like alter the form of a person under the effects of a Shapechange spell. The trick is you have to roll for it and you have to use a slot at least as high level as the spell being stolen (you can't steal a 9th level spell unless you use a 9th level slot).
  • Pocket Spell - 7th level - Like counterspell (except you always have to roll), but if you counter the spell you don't just counter it - you get the ability to cast the spell once (unless someone breaks your concentration).
  • Trim Spell - 2nd level - Like Counterspell except you cut the range of a spell in half. The caster can select a new target if there is a viable one.
There were quite a range of spell-countering spells back in 2e, I believe, I remember that in the Baldur's Gate games, especially at higher levels, the battles involving mages tended to have their own rock-paper-scissors contests - you needed specific spells to strip away an opposing caster's Magic Resistance, then their Spell Turning or Spell Deflection, then their shield against spell damage, then their Stoneskin, all while they were trying to do the same to bust down your defences - and all while the rest of the battle went on around them.

It was an interesting puzzle, but having to solve it every time became tiresome, and more importantly, it took round after round of back-and-forth before their defenses were worn down sufficiently that you could start hurling actual damage-dealing effects at them, and 5e combat just doesn't tend to last that long.

Yeah, the bit about being able to target a "magical effect" in the description of Dispel Magic was leading me in a different direction, but it's sure a lot cleaner to deal with that way. Thanks for the Sage Advice pointer!
Quite often, in published adventures, you see non-spell magical effects which can be dispelled with a certain level of Dispel Magic. But these are set by the adventure creator, there is no hard rule. For example, here is one from Journeys through the Radiant Citadel:
Each crystal is an immobile, Large object with AC 13, 25 hit points, and immunity to poison and psychic damage. Creatures inside the magic crystals are immune to all damage. A trapped creature is freed if its crystal is reduced to 0 hit points, or if the crystal is targeted with a dispel magic spell cast at 5th level or higher.

jgsugden

Legend
Care to share the full spell descriptions for these? Some interesting ideas here!
They're fairly simply worded (except steal spell). However, when shared before, there was a lot of feedback and discussion like below - so I encourage DMs to work the ideas out for themselves if they like them. If you really want you can search ENworld for my name and the spell name of some of these spells. People come to these with preconceptions on balance and they rarely line up with what playtesting over the decades has revealed to me. However, I rarely convince people that my experience matters more than their assumptions.

I do have to note that campaign design has a huge impact on the effectiveness of these spells. In a world where the PCs are the only spell casters these are irrelevant. In a world where your local farmer is a 7th level wizard, these take on a different role. My setting is designed so that only a small percentage of people have powers of a 3rd level PC or above. A typical human that studies their entire life might become a 5th level mage. An elf over a thousand years might reach 9th level. Unless you're God touched, advancing as quickly and as high as a PC is effectively impossible. That means that many of these spells are only useful amongst battles of Godtouched which are fairly rare.
Love this idea[Deflection] - very Dr. Strange. I would hope the roll is a little trickier/harder than standard counterspell.
It always requires a roll (no automatic use for spells of level 3 or below). The offset here is that you have to prepare it, and it is useless against certain spells that only have 1 legal target. For a lot of these spells, you need to factor in that 'preparation' cost to see the balance.
I would bump this [Delay Spell]to 4th level as it is a (potentially) more offensive use of counterspell (unless the target caster knew their spell had been delayed).
That is not how it plays out. People get out of the way of a fireball, or move out of range of the spell before it goes off, or do other things - but generally it plays weaker than counterspell. There are select situations in which it plays out better than counterspell, but not many. People see this as a cheap counterspell and then learn it is more limited.
I like the ideas here, too, but I would bump them up (especially for no concentration!) unless they are limited in some other fashion. Maybe you can only suppress a spell you could cast or only of a certain level (and the spell would still get to roll)?
These have decades of playtesting behind them. They're non-problematic because of what you need to give up in order to get them - they are conditional and most of these spells fail against counterspell in important ways - meaning that counterspell tends to be more universally useful - but situationally some of these spells can be more powerful.

Think back to an old goodie like Spell Immunity from prior editions. It gave a PC immunity to a specified spell. It was a 4th level "Priest" Spell in 2nd Edition.
There were quite a range of spell-countering spells back in 2e... It was an interesting puzzle, but having to solve it every time became tiresome, and more importantly, it took round after round of back-and-forth before their defenses were worn down sufficiently that you could start hurling actual damage-dealing effects at them, and 5e combat just doesn't tend to last that long.
There is a difference in the design here - it isn't the old "use X spell to counter Y specific spell". It is a broader technique for countering magical attacks - but you have to pick your method when preparing/learning spells. A spell dualist might select 4 or 5 of these spells if they are going to hunt a wizard - but most mages can't affford to have more than 1 or 2 of them prepared.

They create more dynamic situations than just relying upon dispel and counterspell. That means there are ups - where they are more effective than just countering a spell - and downs - where you wish you had counterspell because deflection/delay/steal/etc... just don't do anything useful for you.

Deflection is useless when the spell being cast can only target the caster, or otherwise only has 1 legal target due to range restrictions.

Delay spell often requires people to take a further step to effectively negate the spell benefits for the caster. Further, it sometimes doesn't really change the battle at all. A note is that it is a concentration spell for the Delay Spell caster to 'hold the spell' in stasis in this edition.

Suppress Spell sounds cool - but most times when it is cast, either the opponent knows you have it and can anticipate what you've suppressed (or identify it with an identify spell if they have a chance), or there is the chance that the spell you anticipated seeing never comes up for natural reasons. This is less of a problem with the advanced version, but that requires a high level slot and effectively is a counterspell that lingers.[/quote]

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Thanks for the replies. I will look for your previous posts on these ideas. It sounds like for your campaign they work fine, but I imagine most campaigns include spellcasting opponents more often than yours do, so these spells would be more valuable. I also think spellcasting in 5th edition and the concentration mechanic changes the game considerably.
[on deflection] It always requires a roll (no automatic use for spells of level 3 or below). The offset here is that you have to prepare it, and it is useless against certain spells that only have 1 legal target. For a lot of these spells, you need to factor in that 'preparation' cost to see the balance.
Glad to hear that it is not automatic for low level spells. Do you allow casters to recognize spells as they are being cast? If not, I can certainly see how that gamble offsets the value of the spell and balances it well. I give characters a chance to recognize the spell being cast to decide if they want to cast counterspell or not.
[on delay spell] That is not how it plays out. People get out of the way of a fireball, or move out of range of the spell before it goes off, or do other things - but generally it plays weaker than counterspell. There are select situations in which it plays out better than counterspell, but not many. People see this as a cheap counterspell and then learn it is more limited.
Does the original caster know their spell was delayed? If not, I could see delaying a fireball, falling back out of the AoE, the original caster and/or their allies advance and get caught in their own fireball. If they know it was delayed, this becomes a non-issue.
Think back to an old goodie like Spell Immunity from prior editions. It gave a PC immunity to a specified spell. It was a 4th level "Priest" Spell in 2nd Edition. There is a difference in the design here - it isn't the old "use X spell to counter Y specific spell". It is a broader technique for countering magical attacks - but you have to pick your method when preparing/learning spells. A spell dualist might select 4 or 5 of these spells if they are going to hunt a wizard - but most mages can't affford to have more than 1 or 2 of them prepared.
Yes, a spell that makes one creature immune to one spell sounds good as a 4th level spell. A spell that blocks a single spell for everyone within 60 feet of the caster sounds like a higher level spell, even with a counterspell roll, IMO.

Thanks again for sharing!

Dausuul

Legend
What spell level should be used to determine the DC for dispelling persistent magical effects created by a warlock invocation that either (1) doesn't explicitly involve casting a spell per se, e.g., Cloak of Flies, or (2) is written to allow casting of a spell without using a spell slot or explicitly leveling the spell?
Going strictly by the book:

In scenario 1), the effect is not a spell and therefore cannot be ended by dispel magic. (Although dispel magic can target "magical effects," it doesn't actually remove anything but spells.)

In scenario 2), the spell is cast at its base level. For instance, if a warlock uses Chains of Carceri to cast hold monster, it is a 5th-level spell and the DC to dispel it is 15.

Remove ads