D&D 5E Spell Preparation: Leaving Slots Open

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I could probably get a ruling. Maybe the intent is a set spell list between long rests (it probably is the intent). I think I prefer the fiction with being able to leave a few open if desired, thought I think doing so will be of limited advantage other than an occasional interesting story bit or being able to memorize a useful ritual like water breathing or scrying when needed. Slots are pretty tight. Not being able to memorize quickly in battle is severely limiting. I don't think it will create any balance issues allowing it.

Emphasis mine: I thought rituals didn't need to be prepared, simply known?

Ravenheart87

Explorer
Please stop using slots for the number of spells prepared. They are two totally different things in 5e. There is a number of spells you can prepare aka memorize (casting ability mod + class level), and then you can use your spell slots to cast them. Talking about filling spell slots implies you're preparing spells in advance into spell slots like in OD&D to D&D3e.

As for leveling during adventure, I think most DMs don't use the MMO/crpg DING leveling and only let players level up during a longer rest perios (long rest, a few days, whatever).

Mercule

Adventurer
It's a questionable, but not outrageous, position based on the text of the rules. I don't think it's the intent of the developers/designers. I would not run it that way.

But... It's not the end of the world or a power-gaming dream. Knock yourself out, but I think you should acknowledge that it's a house rule.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I'm not sure it's a house rule. I truly am not sure it would not be allowed. As I said there is nothing to indicate you can't fill a prepared spell later such as when you gain a level without taking a long rest. I don't know that most DMs require a long rest to level. I know I don't. I require a bit of down time, not even a short rest. I do allow a player to fill an opening in their prepared spell list during that short time. That made me think, "Would I allow a player to prepare a spell if they left a couple of openings on their prepared spell list?" I read the rule for preparing spells and decided there is nothing specific stating a player can't leave a few openings on their prepared spell list and prepare them later. The only clear text is that once a spell is prepared, it can't be changed until a long rest.

DMs should ask themselves if a player chose to prepare eight spells of a possible ten, would you allow that player to prepare two more spells at a later time to reach the maximum prepared spells allowed? My answer to that question was yes. I did not think the rule text indicated that ruling was wrong.

I was looking at this from a DM perspective if a player told me he had done this. Would I unequivocally rule that he had to prepare spells at a certain time and once he had done so, he could not do so again until a long rest even if he prepared fewer spells on purpose. I also asked what if the caster was interrupted while preparing spells? Would I then not allow him to fill those prepared spell openings at a later time? My answer to that question was no. I would allow him to prepare spells at a later time if interrupted during an attack.

I was sifting the rule using scenarios where a player for some reason did not prepare all the possible spells he could during a particular period between long rests. I could not find a good reason why he could not prepare a spell if he had for some reason not prepared his maximum amount. I guess most posting on here can answer the same questions with an affirmative no. I cannot do the same.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
IMO the intent of the text is to limit preparation to once between long rests - for practical time considerations at the table (so the casters aren't monopolizing game time constantly reworking their prepared lists).

No exact timing is implied (it doesn't say 'immediately after') and I would allow previous prepared lists to remain until the list is changed any time during that day, and you only spend time to replace spells not redo the enitre list. I believe this matches the text.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure it's a house rule. I truly am not sure it would not be allowed.

What difference does it make? Why does it matter? For the game you DM you're ruling it one way, for another DM they might rule it another way. Why is assigning "Yours is the house rule!" important in any stretch of the imagination? If it doesn't say specifically one way or another and both rules come from implied interpretation of the available text... worrying about which one is a "house rule" is pointless.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Yes I am borrowing some inspiration from previous editions/versions of the playtest, but I believe I will allow partial spell list preparation. However, I believe the spellcaster should be rested, therefore later preparation can only be done immediately after a rest. Nothing in the RAW states or implies this is how it works, and nothing forbids it either. But I think this will work well at my table for my campaign. YMMV

Prism

Explorer
Its worth noting that it allows for much greater flexibility of casters. Generally keep a couple of spell unprepared at the start of the day which allows casters to prepare more unusual spells upon requirement when needed. Captured some guys - prepare and cast zone of truth. About to enter a salamander lair - prepare and cast protection from energy.

There should be no excuse as 'we will need to wait until tomorrow' as long as the caster has not used their slots

Remove ads