Spellbook Cards

lukeniedner

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

I've heard complaints that these cards are not artistic enough, but for what I use them for (quick knowledge on spells) they work great.

4 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

The cards are printed on a thick card stock. Much thicker than typical playing cards or gaming cards like FFG LCG's and without rounded edges. The laminate coating is thick as well and tends to make the cards stick together. Sleeving the cards eliminates the sticking problem. The information on the cards is accurate as far as I have reviewed it, but there is no designation for concentration. Also, due to the large amount of text with some spells, the text is cut short and a PHB page reference is given.Overall, the product is a good quick reference, but not perfect.

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space
2 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

The laminate tends to stick, slowing use. The sharp rather than rounded corners are likely to become damaged and are aesthetically displeasing. Couple this then with cards referencing the PHB (the very thing they were supposed to alleviate) and you end up with something truly mediocre.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
5 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

Excellent material and thickness with information laid out for quick reference. The are a great extension to character sheets. Yes, I do wish they had rounded edges but they are what they are, spell cards and they are do what they are meant to do, build your characters spell list for play at the table.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
3 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

Spell cards are an old idea, and they're always useful. These ones are fairly standard examples, and do the job, but have three flaws. First, the corners are sharp, which means they bend and get damaged quickly. Second, the cards lack notation for concentration. Third, some of them refer you to the Player's Handbook, which rather defeats the whole point. On the positive side, none of these issues are crippling, and for the most part the cards do their jobs well.

avjax

First Post

i love these cards for NPCs. Saves flipping through the PHB for spell details. The cards themselves are laminated but I would have preferred more traditional card stock.

Kostchie

Villager

Some where a bit stuck together but didn't tear when separated. Otherwise perfect. I was thinking what I need now are blanks..

JesterOC

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

Pros* Low price* Thick paper, heavy laminate* Does its job.Cons*No concentration marking*Some more complex spells refer you to the book*Non rounded corners crumple easily*Only spells that are on the spell list - misses Domain and Oath spells that grant spells from Arcane

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

Spellbook Cards come in packs based on class (except for the Arcane pack, which contains all wizard, sorcerer, and warlock spells). The cards are almost identical in size to Magic: the Gathering cards, so there are myriad options for sleeving. Also, since you are unlikely to shuffle Spellbook Cards, their square corners will likely only be an issue if you abuse them while unsleeved. Lastly, while some have noted there is no specific notification for spells with a Concentration duration, the reality is that every card with an 'up to' duration is a Concentration spell except for two cantrips -- Prestidigitation and Thaumaturgy. (This terminology exactly matches the Player's Handbook, so it's not GF9's fault, really.) Only significant downside is that many classes and some feats grant spells outside of a specific class to other classes, so you may end up buying an entire set of cards simply for access to one class-specific spell.

Remove ads