Spellbook Cards

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
5 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

These cards are not collectible cards. They are not covered in unique and evocative artwork. They are a tool for spellcasting classes to manage their spells and as a handy reference at the game table. As has been stated elsewhere, they are not meant to replace the PHB. The cards are heavy, laminated (so you can write on them with erasable marker). There a few things I do not like, I do not like the hard pointed edges (should have been rounded to maximize durability) and the fact that some cards were not printed with the 'Concentration' tag on them. I did contact at GF9 rep who appologized and assured me that they are working on fixing this issue in the upcomming print run. Nevertheless, they are very sturdy, laminated and handy. I highly recommend them for spell casting classes but remember, these cards are brief references, you still need to have the PHB handy for full text reference.

edit:
I am upgrading the rating since the makers at Gf9 have taken my feedback and that of many others and made necessary improvements on the cards, which will now contain the 'C' tag and rounded corners as well as other edits.

edit 5/21/15:
Yesterday I stoped by my FLGS and picked up all the new decks. GF9 has re-released these cards, the edges are now rounded, the text in some cards has been corrected, and a couple of cards that were missing have been added. Best part is that the 'concentration' tag that was missing is now included in the spell description. Excellent quality, and you can still write on them with a dry erase marker.

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
3 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

Good but not a great product. It's definitely a nice addition to have, but not critical. It's hard to recommend more than one or two sets given the massive overlap of spells various classes have.

Frank Foulis

First Post

These spell cards set out to do the job they were designed to do. They are not pretty but functional. I do not care for the hard corners and already a few have crumpled up with the few sessions I have used them. Not sure I like the material they are made out of but I can use dry erase markers on them if I needed to. I could have just as easily sleeved a thinner stock of card and marked them with wet erase markers. A few of the longer description spells have page numbers to look them up in the Players Handbook are understandable. All in all I like these cards and will eventually get them all.

Gjorbjond

First Post

The cards lack any indication of whether the spell requires concentration or can be cast as a ritual, so they're not very useful for representing a wizard's spellbook. For classes with a fixed list of spells known, they'd probably be fine.

Michael Long

First Post
1 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

I like the concept, but these were poorly manufactured. With a trading card company behind this, using a third party didn't make sense.

Hunyock

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

The decks' shortcomings have been well documented, and so while I would prefer them to have more durable rounded corners and concentration information included, overall they look great and contain almost all the information you need. Longer spells still need to reference the PHB, but they make a very attractive and convenient way for the spellcasters to organize the spells they have prepared.

Henrix

Explorer

Spell cards are very useful. Put the spells you have prepared in a card holder and you have a handy spell book.Concentration isn't marked on these cards, but on the other hand you know it requires concentration when it says 'up to 1 min.', instead of '1 min.'My only gripe is that you don't get the cards for spells given by class choices, like the warlock's patron.But the price is right.

SigmaOne

First Post

At first I was turned off by the sharp corners, but I decided to try a set and I'm glad I did. They're high quality, sturdy cards. They're not overly artistic, but they're not unattractive either. What they are is useful. With new players, the cards have greatly trimmed the amount of time flipping through the PHB, and in my book that makes them well worth it. As others have mentioned, they do stick together a bit due to the lamination, but only in the sense that there is friction preventing them from sliding, and this goes away with use.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
5 out of 5 rating for Spellbook Cards

I picked up all the deck just in case a player, experienced or new, decided to play a caster. The cards help speed up game play as well as help with player knowledge as they learn 5e.

DarkplaneDM

Villager

These are unavoidably useful, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. As has been said just about everywhere, they have square corners and don't list the spells that require concentration. Still, I have every set and don't regret it. They're much better than the printed out version I was using before that. My players can prep their spells in less than a minute and don't have to flip through the manual (much).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases