Spelljammer Spelljammer Confirmed (MAYBE, April Fools?)

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Though I am very confident it is coming, I don't expect to actually hear about Spelljammer seriously until the D&D Live event which hasn't been announced yet, probably around when Radiant Citadel gets released.
I agree - I'm not expecting any real announcement about the next product until Radiant Citadel releases.

They might sneak out another tease before then tho.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
We'll probably hear something tomorrow - D&D announcements and releases are always Tuesdays, for some reason.
They don't tend to stack announcements. Like with Netherdeep and Radiant Citadel. They waited until Netherdeep was released to even start hinting at Radiant Citadel. Though I'm not sure they can wait until late June to announce the next book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They don't tend to stack announcements. Like with Netherdeep and Radiant Citadel. They waited until Netherdeep was released to even start hinting at Radiant Citadel. Though I'm not sure they can wait until late June to announce the next book.
I mean, I don't see why not: that's usually when they announce the next book, or books. And they do stack announcements at D&D Live, see last year for example, when Witchlight and Strixhaven were announced at the same time, a month before Fizban's was announced.

They have with setting books though. Eberron got teased well before its release (around six months if I remember) with other releases still not out yet. VRGtR wasn't quite that early, but it was still announced several weeks before Candlekeep came out.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

This is actually incorrect; typically they announce a new book a week before a book releases. Radiant Citadel was the exception to this.

Why WotC does this I have no idea (it doesn't make much sense). And there are usually at least two new book announcements at D&D Live.

The last big summer Live was in July. I can't remember how many were actually announced there or teased earlier, but they were promoting three unreleased books at that event.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is actually incorrect; typically they announce a new book a week before a book releases. Radiant Citadel was the exception to this.

Why WotC does this I have no idea (it doesn't make much sense). And there are usually at least two new book announcements at D&D Live.

The last big summer Live was in July. I can't remember how many were actually announced there or teased earlier, but they were promoting three unreleased books at that event.
Fizban's was announced there, but both Strixhaven and Witchlight were revealed on June 7th.

They stagger the announcements so that hype can begin building for the next book before the current book has climaxed by getting into people's hands. Basically, they want people to be anticipating a D&D book all year.

glass

(he, him)
My problem with the Crystal Spheres was always that it's a one-size fits all approach to something where even by TSR's own publications was not one-size-fits-all (Mystara, even while Spelljammer was published, was not in a Crystal Sphere, and yet it had its own rules for space travel).
Doesn't Mystara having its own space distinct from Spelljammer suggest that there wasn't a one-size-fits-all approach? Unless you mean trying to add one after the fact, by forcing things that were not part of the Great Wheel (Mystara, also Eberron) into it later, in which case I agree with you!

_
glass.

Remove ads