Spelljammer Spelljammer Confirmed (MAYBE, April Fools?)

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Doesn't Mystara having its own space distinct from Spelljammer suggest that there wasn't a one-size-fits-all approach? Unless you mean trying to add one after the fact, by forcing things that were not part of the Great Wheel (Mystara, also Eberron) into it later, in which case I agree with you!

_
glass.
Yeah - that's what I mostly mean. Also the hoops they jumped through to get Athas to fit into the crystal sphere/Great Wheel framework while preserving its unique identity. As a lover of worldhopping campaigns I get the idea that you want to keep options open for people, but trying to force everything into the same framework rather than fitting a worldhopping framework to it that allows minimal intrusion into the setting's own way of doing things isn't the way I personally like to see things done.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Spelljammer is the best option if Hasbro wants a crossover between D&D and a mash-up version of some no-fantasy franchise.

But, instead, Hasbro is developing separate RPGs for their other franchises. They have specifically chosen to not put these franchses on WotC's plate, so don't expect WotC trying to develop to support them.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
What are they really up to? The situation is fluid and the wheels are turning... thanks to the efforts of a platoon of valiant hamsters.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
But, instead, Hasbro is developing separate RPGs for their other franchises. They have specifically chosen to not put these franchses on WotC's plate, so don't expect WotC trying to develop to support them.
Licensing is one of the big money things that Hasbro has, so it makes sense that they would farm these out rather than have Wizards do them. And Wizards has its own properties that it wants to develop - I don't think it's really interested in doing licensed properties anymore. They want to develop Magic lore and D&D lore, not spend time and energy turning the lore that the Transformers or GI Joe teams develop into game material. Letting someone who is willing to pay Hasbro to do that is a good deal from Hasbro's part.

Other point if Hasbro likes the work by those companies because in the future could be "closer". It wouldn't be the first time a company is acquired by other after a long time of partnership deals.

And a d20 Modern 2.0. needs a lot of work to find the right power balance with the firearms and modern technology. Before WotC Hasbro acquired a lot of companies, and after One-Entertaiment we could see new ones.

My suggestion is the potential of Fortnite, possibely the king of the intercompany crossovers. This is the perfect videogame for licenced collaborations. I wonder why we haven't seen more skins by Hasbro after Snake Eyes. The trailer of the last season showing the tanks and battle-bus was asking with screams a G.I.Joe collab.

Remove ads