Spelljammer Spelljammer Confirmed (MAYBE, April Fools?)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
WotC’s been dropping Spelljammer hints in 5E books for years. And every time fans scream about how it’s “Spelljammer confirmed” and another year goes by with nothing. So, when they make an official announcement, with a title, release date, and price…then I’ll get on the hype train. But not before. I’ll still be leery as I’d rather they not touch it than butcher it or splice it into Planescape. And there’s every chance it could be the cameo classic setting.

It’s a mean joke. The fans who love Spelljammer really love Spelljammer and really want the setting released. If it were a joke about Mystara or Greyhawk or Dark Sun I’d still think it was mean. You’re toying with your fans. Most of them lifelong fans if they’re keyed up about Spelljammer or other classic settings. That’s a crappy thing to do.

I hope they are making a proper Spelljammer book, and not some generic multiverse book with a Spelljammer cameo…but I’m not holding my breath. And I hope they don’t butcher it. But, until there’s a press release, it’s just another crappy April Fools day joke.
sigh

There is a Spelljammer book coming, and WotC ia barely even trying to hide it. This is just funny.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, pranks don't have to be, either. So, for instance, today I borrowed my wife's phone to call my dad, who always answers with the name pf the person calling. So he said hi to my wife, I said April Fools, we laughed and got on with our normal conversation. That's about my level of April Foolery, but it's fun.

Similarly, we are getting a Spelljammer book this year, and WotC knows that we know, and knows that we know that they know that we know: so this Tweet is not cruel, it's layers of funny.
I get ya, but IME the vast majority of April Fools jokes are very much at someone’s expense, which is a general genre of humor I find boring, at best, and indicative of character I’d rather not associate with, in the more egregious cases.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I get ya, but IME the vast majority of April Fools jokes are very much at someone’s expense, which is a general genre of humor I find boring, at best, and indicative of character I’d rather not associate with, in the more egregious cases.
Well, as a rule, you can learn a lot, both and bad, about a person from their sense of humor. Toxic folk will toxic joke.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, as a rule, you can learn a lot, both and bad, about a person from their sense of humor. Toxic folk will toxic joke.
Indeed. My best friend from elementary through high school into our 20s got more and more insulting and mean in his humor, and I started distancing myself from him because of it. The more I got away from people with that sort of outlook, the happier my life has gotten.

Spelljammer is the best option if Hasbro wants a crossover between D&D and a mash-up version of some no-fantasy franchise. My theory is Hasbro wants to sell D&D version of licenced franchises, and Spelljammer could be used as a "store window", or even to recycle old franchises. Something like the colabs in Fortnite. A mash-up version of PC races from "d20 Future" could appear in the updated version of Spelljammer, and it wouldn't be the first time, at all.

rom-space-knight-6.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9q2sxmaKc1r0zz7o_500.jpg

d9ded959f2f3b8ad0161b21984d4a00a.gif

1648881008607.png

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
This is one reason why I suspect it'll be an adventure, along the lines of "Baldur's Gate: the Sea Beyond the Stars", or somesuch. Start out in FR, get ahold of a spelljammer, head off for adventure. Buckle swashes as you see fit.
That wouldn't be the end of the world, I suppose, but it would still annoy me. Though realistically I'm not sure there's a better way to (re)introduce the setting at this point.

I really liked the Speljamming helm buried in DotMM. I like the way they've been sprinkling Spelljammer critters through the different books.

I'm honestly not that convinced we need a lot more. I literally wrote a book on giant space hamsters, complete with character options and a hamster wheel Speljamming helm. But I've adored Spelljammer for decades, so I do feel a certain level of protectiveness toward it.

I agree with you, but my one point would be that we know we're returning to two classic settings this year, but that doesn't inherently mean campaign setting books. I'm personally hoping if we get a Spelljammer book, it's an adventure - I personally have no idea how to run a Spelljammer game, and would find that way more useful than a setting book.

Adventures don't count as a visit, otherwise VRGtR would have bee called a setting revisit, instead of a one of the Classic 3 settings coming.

No I'm certain a Spelljammer Campaign Setting book is coming.

As far as I'm concerned the UA confirmed it.

I'll also point out that WotC's April fools joke MtG side is an actual real product, a secret lair you will be able to buy with humouress quirk to it.

Remove ads